Working on another engine...

Discussion in 'Mustangs & Fords' started by Vinnietbird, Oct 8, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

I got a GT40P engine a couple of weeks ago.It had a tick over 30,000 miles on it,looks nearly new inside.Everything is clean and all of the internals look great.I'll have the heads worked over at the machine shop in the next town over and install Trick Flow valve springs while they're at it.I also have a trick Flow Stage 1 cam coming for the engine.I got the front cover,oil pan,and some other misc. pieces ready to be cleaned for the engine.I'll use the polished Explorer intake I'm already using on the current engine along with the BBK headers.I have heard that I may need a couple of 90 degree plug wire boots to work with the P heads due to the different plug angle they have.It's coming together steadily.One piece at a time.I'm hoping it'll move the Bird a little quicker when it's all said and done.It should.Funds are dried up for now,so,I'll start sanding the oil pan and getting everything clean ,painted,and detailed for installation.Good old natural and polished aluminum and Ford Blue coming up.

2. Oct 8, 2009 #2

PatientZero

PatientZero

PatientZero

Nice! Sounds like a neat little project, I've heard that about the plug wires as well, I think they get too close to the headers if they aren't 90°. Anyways, good luck on the build!

3. Oct 9, 2009 #3

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Thanks.I need all the luck I can get.LOL.

4. Oct 9, 2009 #4

zeus

zeus

zeus

good luck sounds like a great idea!

5. Oct 9, 2009 #5

72BlackonBlack

72BlackonBlack

72BlackonBlack

You definitely need a couple short, 90 degree plugs. I've also heard that on those plugs it is worth getting ceramic boots on them.

6. Oct 9, 2009 #6

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

I'll check into those.I'll be buying new plug wires before I install the engine.I want it as complete as I can get it while it's on the stand (except for the intake,headers,and valve covers).I may luck out and find the FMS headers that will work with the GT40 and GT40P heads.If not,my BBKs will be reused.I'm getting the little pieces one by one.I've got almost everything I need.I'm mostly down to the little things,like seals,gaskets,plugs.......that kind of stuff.The Trick Flow cam should be here anytime.Hopefully tomorrow.I am trying to decide on timing gears,or double roller timing chain.I don't want a noisy set of gears if I go that direction.I'll get the quiet ones.I may just stick with a chain set and keep the costs down.Every dollar I can save (but build it well) I can use on other parts.

7. Oct 9, 2009 #7

dutch

dutch

dutch

- your ad here -

nice! will your bbk headers work with the P's?

8. Oct 9, 2009 #8

Venomous03Snake

Venomous03Snake

Venomous03Snake

SLOWBRA

Sounds like alot of fun good luck

9. Oct 10, 2009 #9

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Yes,they'll work fine,I'll just have to use 90 degree plug wire boots on a couple of the plugs.

10. Oct 14, 2009 #10

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

I dropped the heads off today to be ported,polished,bowl blending,valve job,Trick Flow springs installed,and everything nicely smoothed and made to work great with the new cam.He'll give me the flow sheet with all the numbers when i pick up the heads.I'll post the numbers for the Gt40P heads.

11. Oct 14, 2009 #11

Fasglas

Fasglas

Fasglas

I bought one of those motors as a crate motor from Ford and put it in my old F-100. They were selling them at a great price about 10 years ago. It's been a good motor and has a lot more power than the incredibly slow 302 the truck came with in 1981.

I used a set of Mustang headers made for those heads. They worked fine in the truck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  12. Oct 18, 2009 #12

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Parts on the way.....

-Cobra lower intake
    -injector harness
    -Revised Cobra intake oil baffle
    -O2 harness and sensors
    -all intake plugs and sensors.
    -fuel rails

I've got a bunch of parts sitting and waiting....
    -Underdrive pullies
    -new water pump bolts
    -replacement injectors
    -new water pump oil sender extender.
    -new oil pan and rails
    -new oil level sender
    -one piece oil pan gasket

the heads should be done in the middle of this week from getting a valve job,porting,bowl blending,and installing the Trick Flow springs.They are also cleaning and bead blasting the timing cover and alternator bracket.I'll have them blast the lower intake when it gets here.

This engine should be about 95% complete on the stand.All it should need is the upper intake and headers.All the rest will be there and installed.I still need a few more gaskets and a couple of seals,but it should be ready in a couple of weeks.I'll post some pics of the before during and after.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  13. Oct 18, 2009 #13

blackpony

blackpony

blackpony

sounds great vinny... lmk if you need any help...:thumbups:

14. Oct 18, 2009 #14

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

I'll do that Toby,right back at ya.You know where to find me.THANKS a lot.As for now,I'm playing the waiting game.Once the heads are done,things will go a lot faster.I still need a few things,but most all of the big stuff is here,or on it's way.Man,I'm getting all excited !!!

15. Nov 9, 2009 #15

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

My update.....I got the heads back,and they looked great.The engine,for the most part is assembled.All I need to do is install the water pipes on the lower intake and the brackets.I did manage to get most everything else finished.The under drive crank and water pump pulley are on,Trick Flow stage 1 cam,the ported heads with Trick Flow valve springs.I wasn't sure if i should leave the lower Cobra intake natural aluminum or paint it....I painted it.I figured it would go with the polished upper and polished valve covers (and other polished parts).The blue valve covers on this engine are only there to close up the engine.They won't be used in the car.Here's a few pics........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nov 10, 2009 #16

blackpony

blackpony

blackpony

kool vin! How did the heads flow after he was done? There is a thread on sn95forums about shortening your plug wires so they tuck a little better, i did it with my motorsport wires and they look a ton better... Dont have all the xtra wire sticking out and falling on the headers... Ill get u the link later when i get off work... Lmk if u need some help...

17. Nov 10, 2009 #17

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Hey Toby !!!! Wuzzup?Long time no see.They didn't give me a flow sheet like they said they would.I was curious as well.As of right now,I'm unsure what I'm going to do with or about plug wires.I THINK I'm going to get a custom set and make my own using 90 degree plug boots due to the angle of the plugs (almost straight out and not the usual angle we're used to).I'm also looking at plug wire looms for the wires.I need simple yet very effective looms.I want to keep the wires nice and neat and have them just drop off right to the appropriate spark plug,no hanging wires (as you mentioned). I've got one more bolt that I need,and it's on the way.It's the lower driver side water pump bolt that has the stud on it for the steering pump bracket.A guy from the T-Bird forum is sending me a brand new one he didn't need.Cool.Once I have the water pipes done,it should be about ready to drop in the old Sport.I have an extra injector harness in the garage as well. I'm VERY curious as to how much rear wheel power the new engine will make.I have no idea what-so-ever.

Ported GT40 "P" heads,Trick Flow Stage 1 cam and valve springs,Cobra intake,65mm throttle body,BBK shorty headers,under drive pulleys. Any ideas?

As far as help,I have no idea when I'll be able to install it.Soon I hope,but who knows?One day at a time.Heck,I wasn't even planning on having it finished until spring time.I guess I'm 4 or 5 months ahead of schedule.LOL.

18. Nov 10, 2009 #18

blackpony

blackpony

blackpony

id say prolly somewhere in the 260-270 hp range possibly more... lmk and i can help you on the wires i am very happy with how i did mine, they are nice and neat and out of the way... we can reuse the wires you have just modify them as i did mine.... again very happy with them...

Also you are more then welcome to come over and do the swap at my house... i have everything except the cherry picker and i know where i could get one just need a truck to get it over to my house.... call me or come by this weekend and we can talk more...

19. Nov 10, 2009 #19

blackpony

blackpony

blackpony

also i have a sand blaster if you want to blast that dizzy and paint it...

20. Nov 10, 2009 #20

blackpony

blackpony

blackpony

oh and one more thing... do you have an xtra passenger side fox valve cover with the fill tube? i need one...