victory_red_SS' RWD V8 Cobalt build

Discussion in 'Projects and Build Ups' started by victory_red_SS, Mar 22, 2010.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Mar 10, 2011 #101

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Two Updates in One Week???

Today I was dropping off the 4.5" skinnies for the front of the car. These tires are narrower and 1" taller than the ones I had before. These differences make a big difference in how the car sits as well as in how it will track on the drag strip.
    While I was at the shop I saw a few more items that were done and some being worked on. The frame cross member is completely installed and all of the suspension parts are installed. The steering rack had to to be changed as the Mustang 2 didn't properly. Instead we are using the steering rack from the 79-93 Mustang. Everything looks clean and very strong. The workmanship is great and the complete setup looks as if it belongs there. The suspension geometry is dead on and the car is all squared up. The suspension's articulation is also spot on and this car truly will be able to be streeted. We have a minimum 5.5"s of clearance under the car so it will easily pass government inspection.
    The stock dash has been fitted into the car and is almost complete. We do have the issue of the dash being moved further back into the passenger area but Resnick has a plan to deal with it. By the time we are done, I will have as stock of a look/feel as possible considering all of the modifications done to the interior.
    Resnick is now working on getting the windsheild wipers and the emergency break mounted. It won't be too long before we are ready to start wiring and doing the body work.
    Today was really positive as Resnick and Grant (the other mechanic) were both talking about having this on the track soon as race season is fast approaching. Finally I am becomeng more hopefull of driving this car soon. ;) :nuts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 11, 2011 #102

97Cobra Jake

97Cobra Jake

97Cobra Jake

Mustang Slut

This car truly is a work of art. I understand the struggles of balancing keeping the wife happy and my hobbies going. :lol: It sure seems to be coming along nicely. I wish you luck on getting everything buttoned up with your budget! Also I hope you are not using that granny steering wheel:D.

Thats nothing new, my mustangs steering linkage is also through my headers, and no they are not custom headers, just BBK long tubes.

3. Mar 11, 2011 #103

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Finally this is starting to look more like a car again and less like a pile of parts. And no I won't be using the steering wheel :)lmao:), it is just there for mock up.

4. Mar 11, 2011 #104

Brando

Brando

Brando

WOW!!! by this racing season!?!?!!??! thats crazy. good luck man. i still love this car and i was just thinking to myself "what ever happened to that thing?" lol crazy

5. Mar 11, 2011 #105

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

I know, can he really mean this 'racing season???:lmao:
    I know it won't be the beginning as our track opens April 8th but Resnick said to wait until May when it is warmer because this kind of power on the track when it is still cool outside is just asking for trouble.

6. Mar 12, 2011 #106

grnbeast

grnbeast

grnbeast

Seems like it would just make working on those two systems just that much more difficult, but whatever works.

More power to ya! :thumbsup:

7. Mar 12, 2011 #107

97Cobra Jake

97Cobra Jake

97Cobra Jake

Mustang Slut

I guess there just isn't enough room, I would be much happier if it didn't do this, just makes it that much more a pain in the ass to work on.

8. Mar 23, 2011 #108

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

THE CAR IS NOW HOME!!!
    Finally I have the car sitting in my garage and I can finally start my part of the work. The engine will be ready to assemble in 10 days so the faster I accomplish my tasks, the faster I get to the track/street. :D

9. Mar 24, 2011 #109

mike93civic

mike93civic

mike93civic

Yes it's a D

WOOT!!!!

10. Mar 24, 2011 #110

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

That is what I am think too. :D

11. Mar 24, 2011 #111

goodhart

goodhart

goodhart

herpity derpity derp

This is an amazing build. Best of luck to you!

12. Mar 24, 2011 #112

jonnyd218

jonnyd218

jonnyd218

Lets see ur civic do this

This build is nothing but AWSOMESAUCE!!! Love it!

13. Mar 24, 2011 #113

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Thank you because I can use some good luck right now. The next few weeks are going to be busy and interesting. :)

Thanks a lot as it definitely has surpassed all of my original plans/expectations..

I was amused yesterday when the car was being unloaded off of the flat deck and a stranger jumped out of his car and was really excited. He said he never saw a Cobalt look so crazy. The tow truck driver asked him if he was excited by the car and the guy pointed to his crotch and said "don't I look excited" :eek::lmao: True story.:D

14. Jun 30, 2019 #114

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

It has been a long time since I have updated this thread so I shall rectify that now. Many people who read this thread way back when have likely moved on but just in case here is where this project stands today.

I have a bit of an update that I have held of on while I waited for some information from a couple of the companies I am working with. During the time I have been accumulating parts and planning what I can do to keep moving forward. Just a heads up, this is just a final mock-up with a dummy block, this is not my LSX motor, more news on that later on.

I have had many one step forward and then wait for new/missing/correct parts. One of the parts that I needed to change was the drysump pump from ARE. This new pump is a 4-stage pump that still uses the LS1 pan that I previously bought from ARE. The pump uses an HTD system (cog style belt) with a collet for tightening on the pump shaft. From there I had an issue getting the ATI Damper hub for the Vortech to line up to the pulley on the drysump pump. ARE didn’t have a solution, ATI didn’t have a solution and ATI was way to busy to make me a custom hub. I finally managed to get the right hub from another customer of my engine builder, the same guy who built a LS motor with the same supercharger. The only thing I need now is a slightly longer belt for the pulley.

I ordered the alternator with bracket/pulleys/tensioner/bolts that were on the 2013 Camaro because it didn’t use a power steering pump, just like my setup. The problem was it wasn’t lining up with my water pump. I ended up exchanging the Corvette style water pump for Meziere’s electric water pump. When the pump arrived, I was stoked, so after a long day at work I went to install the Meziere pump. Guess what it didn’t line up either. I needed to get the 1.75” spacers from Meziere so I placed my order. When it arrived back down stairs to do the install and guess what I discovered? Meziere sells me 1.75” spacers but they don’t ship the longer bolts needed. In fact, they don’t even sell the longer bolts period. Off to a hardware store the next day and buy some bolts. Went home and installed the pump and then it was time for the serpentine belt to go on. AND GUESS WHAT FREAKING HAPPENED?

It fit. All of the waiting and more waiting and watching it all line up was a sweet thing.

[​IMG]

Next up, installing the custom motor mount to see if the new drysump pump fit, it didn’t. While one area was close there was still the issue of a proper fit and having the fitting’s all line up. So, I thought let’s see how close it was. Here is how close it was.

[​IMG]

Here is my slight butchering mod to see what I needed to do. At this point I thought I was looking at getting front/rear engine plates to use as motor mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The surprise came yesterday when the owner of a fabrication shop came to the house to look over the project and he said he can make the mount work with some enhancement to the remaining supports. I admit I liked hearing that.

After I had that all done, I needed to find out the burning question, will the S/C fit in my engine bay because I don’t quite have the same space as a 2013 Camaro. So, I mounted this beauty…

[​IMG]

Keep in mind I am mounting all of these components using minimal bolts, so I don’t have to dismantle everything when something doesn’t work out. I mean, it’s not like things ever go sideways for me, right? Here is the modified motor mount waiting for the engine to be put in place.

Here was my first sideways issue, the anchor point, for part of the body parts. Good thing that was designed to be moved and it was two small bolts.

[​IMG]

Next issue, this looks a bit tight from this angle!

[​IMG]

Crap, it looks tight from this angle too.

[​IMG]

It looks even worse from this angle as neither the water pump or S/C are clearing.

[​IMG]

15. Jun 30, 2019 #115

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Lesson learnt that day was the engine can’t be dressed before I lower it into the engine bay, so I started to remove the water pump and S/C. The upside is the fabricator is going to modify the front support area so that it is removable to allow the engine to be re & re’ed without undressing everything. I am glad I didn’t use all the bolts for the install. Another part of the problem is where the engine sits, which is far back as the firewall Lesson was pushed back. Here is the engine now being lower into the engine bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine is almost in place but now I have a clearance issue with the shaft on the steering rack. Keep in mind that I chose the stock alternator and bracket from the 2013 Camaro to keep everything lined up with the Vortech kit that I bought.

[​IMG]

16. Jun 30, 2019 #116

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

The good news is the fabricator has several ideas that he’s going to try, and he is confident that he can make it work.

Now that the engine is almost set on the motor mount, I need to answer that burning question, will the S/C clear the tube for the roll cage…

[​IMG]

No, it doesn’t fit so I’m thinking, this sucks. So, I talked to Jim at Richmond engines and he said that it’s simple cut the tube, the fabricator will deal with it. Jim didn’t have to tell me twice.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step was to mount the S/C so I could see how the charge tubing was going to fit in the space I have. It turns out that it didn’t like being at 3 o’clock because the tubing was to close to the wheel and steering was going to be completely compromised, so I had to re-clock the S/C. I can’t say I was too thrilled, with taking apart the S/C but, after a call to Vortech and talking to a technician I was ready to do what he told me to do. It turns out that it is really easy to clock this S/C. This picture gives you a close up of the impeller of this S/C and I think it looks like a work of art. There is also a picture of where the tube needs to sit to clear the tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the clearance between my water pump/S/C and my radiator. Plenty of room for my electric fan(s) but not enough room for my drysump oil tank which will be remotely mounted in the backseat area of my car.

[​IMG]

Next is the air to air cooler from Vortech which has big 3” outlets. Because of the space between the intercooler and the radiator I am considering another, fan(s) for the intercooler. I will consult with people who have more knowledge than I do.

[​IMG]

17. Jun 30, 2019 #117

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Next up is a few pictures of some of the supporting components for the HP this car will make. There is the Wilson LS7 intake, the Brodix BR 7 BS 300-B cylinder heads (there is a pic of the valve train specs too) and the Holley 105mm throttle body. On top of the heads I have GM Performance LSX valve covers (the victory red LSX was my doing) which are no longer sold by GM. Looking at the pictures and you can get a good idea of how far back the engine sits. You can also see why I chose the Wilson intake because it fits the space that I have, and it is rated for 1500HP+.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also a couple of pictures of the charge piping, but I still need to buy some additional piping to get everything to line up in my engine bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next couple of pictures I took yesterday. I still have to solder the connections. I am going to use the weather pack connections that I scavenged from the original wiring from my car. I am not very experienced doing the soldering so if any of you have good advice/instructions, I am all ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have many other parts that I haven’t add to my picture files. I have all of the wiring harnesses needed to complete the Holley Dominator EFI system. I also have nearly 95% of all parts that bolt to the engine. All internal parts are being bought by the engine builder. At this point I have pre-paid Jim $18,000. for building the engine Including all of my time painting his shop at the beginning of the year and this doesn’t include all of those external components that I have bought from JEGS. I have had people ask me why I would ‘pre-pay’ when everyone else ripped me off in the past. The answer is simple, Richmond Racing Engines is a reputable shop and I have seen his work from the engines being built as well as when they are run on the engine dyno. All, of his work is top notch and he has a long reputation for being honest. Jim evens supports street legal racing by paying the top prize at the 604 Street Legal drag racing series. That means a lot to me. Jim has also referred me to Dwain from Kremyr Racing, the fabrication shop that is going to do the many things that I do not have the skills to do. That work includes the engine mount, the steering rack issues, completing the headers the last guy started, mounting the radiator and intercooler, making a new fuel cell to fit in conjunction with the wheelie bars, the parachute mount, the front support modification and the funny cage bars to allow for a 7.5 second certification. We talked about possibly doing the funny cage bars later and his opinion was that if the car can run that time then we do the bars now not later. Dwain also has a body shop that can deal with my front fenders/body kit that needs to be adjusted to make up for changing the wheel base from 103” to 104.5” which was an issue. I have a certain amount $$ set aside and I will be working my ass off so I will have the rest when it’s time to pay. The good/bad news is that Dwain can’t start until the beginning of July. Bad news because of the delay, good news because it allows me to do the work that I can perform so that we are (fingers crossed) ready to have this car make it to the race track this year. I have worked long hours this past year and I’m going further into debt to finish this project because I am too stupid/stubborn to quit, you choose which one it is.

18. Jun 30, 2019 #118

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Some cool things are going to be happening in short order. To start with the front fenders and bumper are being reworked to match the 104.5" wheelbase that the car now has. The tires had to much gap at the back of the wheels and too little at the front of the wheels which hindered steering. The included pictures show the added pieces as we test fit them before the final welding. This was a time consuming process and a bit more $$ than expected but there was no way around this modification. The fenders are now back at the shop and the final welding will be done and the modification to the front bumper will be completed. I am hoping to get the car all primed before it goes to the fabricator, which is the next update part.

The car goes to the fabricator in 3 weeks from Monday. At that shop modifications will be done to the roll cage under the hood to allow the supercharger to fit in its position. The funny cage bars will be welded into place, the headers will be completed by the welding of all the tubes and adding the Vibrant collectors. An aluminum fuel cell will be built to fit the space I have as when the chassis was first built we weren't planning on wheelie bars (4 cylinder torque)and now that we need wheelie bars we don't have the space with the plastic RCI fuel cell and protective metal cover. We need a support built for the parachute and the wing added to the spare trunk lid so we are ready for racing. We are also going to have a custom driveshaft built and if that's not enough I am sure something else will pop up.

Next, Jim at Richmond Racing Engines has most of the parts needed and next week the block starts getting machined to accommodate the .5" head studs, the 4.125 pistons and everything else we are going to need. Jim is paying special attention to all areas regarding oiling. I have patiently waited for my LSX bowtie block to move form the waiting room into the surgery room and Jim says that happens this coming week. Jim also has some addition work that he needs me to do for him which works out for both of us.

The downside is that this is not going to be cheap but as happened last year at this time I have been offered a huge extra on a project I am working on. The good news I can work as many hours as I want and my weeks will be 80 hours a week. I am going to do all that I can so the $$$ is there when I need to pay the shops. My time to work on the car is going to be really limited while I work all of this overtime but I am focused on actually having this project finished. I'm glad my wife is letting me slide on working around the house so this nightmare can finally end and a smile can be had for us and everyone else who has followed this project for 13 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jul 1, 2019 #119

Bowtie

Bowtie

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND Staff Member

I always wondered what ever happened to this build. Glad to see its still on track because I remember there being lots of issues you were going through with the builders (if I remember correctly). I've heard good things about RRE so sounds like everything is on the right track.

Hope to see it at Mission next year!

20. Jul 1, 2019 #120

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS

Yes there have been issues, far to many issues honestly but I strive to move forward and finish this project.

There is still the hope that the project will get to Mission this season still as the three shops now doing the work, motor/fabrication/autobody are all talking to each other about time lines. The one unknown factor is the finishing of the wiring and so far I have been unable to get someone who can do the work and is willing to do it in my garage. I am about 80% done but the wiring for the Holley ECU and lots of soldering still need to be done. I bought a professional soldering iron and it could very well be that I am going to be the wiring guy, starting with the least important items to solder so I can get more confident in what I'm doing.

You are right about RRE, he has a great reputation and he has been building race engines for over 30 years. He and a friend even have 2 sprint cars which the race every year and those cars are typically the fastest cars and they regularly post in the money. What I really like about Jim and his crew is that the make sure every parts fits where it is supposed to be instead of just taking parts out of a box and bolting things together and then cross your fingers it all works out.