Time for a new GPU

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Not sure if anyone will see this/chime in before I buy them, but it's worth throwing this up here to get some opinions.

The three I'm considering:

MSI HD 7950
-830MHz Core (Boost: 840MHz)
-3072MB GDDR5 5000MHz Memory

MSI HD 7870

-1050MHz Core
-2048MB GDDR5 4800MHz Memory

ASUS HD 7970

-1000MHz Core
-3072MB GDDR5 5500MHz Memory

Price difference is minimal between the first two. The 7950 is going for $130ea after rebate and the 7870 is $160ea after rebate. I'll likely be buying 2 of them and running them Crossfire at 5760x1080. If I go for the 7970, it will have to be my only GPU for the time being. It's 2x the cost of the 7950, and I can't afford to spend ~$600 on video cards right now.

The 7950 is a bit cheaper, has more and slightly faster RAM, although slower core speed than the 7870. Tom's Hardware has the 7950 ranked higher on their GPU hierarchy by one "step". I'm leaning towards the 7950, but am open to arguments either way.

Note: No nVidia. Motherboard won't support SLI. I may not go dual-GPU immediately, but I'd like to at least have that option open.

Last edited:

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Edit: Looks like I'll likely end up with the 7970 due to, of all things, a lack of power to run two 7950s. Newegg's calculator shows a recommended 800w+ with two 7950s. I just put a 650w power supply in my rig a couple months ago, so I'm not looking to have to replace that in the near future.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Bought the 7970. Thing is HUGE.

The 7970 vs my old 5770:

(Note: The 5770 isn't connected; it's just there for comparison.)

Very significant increase. The BF4 beta looks totally different now.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Almost forgot, it came with 3 free games too. Got Dirt 3, Farcry 3 and Saints Row IV.

It's kind of nice to get semi-current games for free. Last time I got a freebie game with a video card, it was way outdated.

Rico

Nice purchase, I'll be replacing my aging computer this time next year hopefully. The free games are always nice as well!

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Nice purchase, I'll be replacing my aging computer this time next year hopefully. The free games are always nice as well!
It was a nice bonus. I'm kind of kicking myself for passing up the Saints Row series for so long. I finished the storyline for IV in a couple days and am almost 100% on the challenges.

Zomg

Random Kid
3 free games?!?! dude thats awesome, 130$ value!

It was a nice bonus. I'm kind of kicking myself for passing up the Saints Row series for so long. I finished the storyline for IV in a couple days and am almost 100% on the challenges.
If you decide to pick up 1 and 2, don't expect them to be like 3 and 4.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
3 free games?!?! dude thats awesome, 130$ value!

If you decide to pick up 1 and 2, don't expect them to be like 3 and 4.

Thanks for the heads-up. I may have to pick up 3.

And yeah, 3 free games is freakin' sweet. And they're not ancient or shitty, which is nice. You get to choose from a decently-long list.

Technically it was 4 free games. I got a copy of the latest Tomb Raider too and gave it to my roommate. Just had a hard time getting the code to work since AMD has ~1,402 different places to put codes in on their site. Finally found the right place to put it Sunday.

You play SR IV on PC? I need to do the co-op missions; it's pissing me off having those uncompleted.