Sound quality questions...

19bonestock88

...irrelevant user name..
So i have installed a full Pioneer system in my suzuki forenza, a FH-X700BT head unit, TS-675M speakers in front, and TS-575M speakers in rear (stock sizes). It was installed with a wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield. Full volume on the stereo is 62, but i cant go past like 45 without quickly getting into some nasty distortion. I just installed this line of speakers in my wife's saturn sl1, and loved them in that car(different head unit though)... What can i do to get better quality? I tried fiddling with the EQ but couldnt get the distortion out at nearly full volume...

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Distortion is caused by over driving the speakers. To avoid distortion in speakers at max volume you need speakers whose CONTINOUS RMS rating is equal to or greater than the rated max output of your head unit or head unit amp combo. Distortion also comes in at max power in your head unit as well.

As a general rule of thumb if you want to listen to something really loud you need amp or amps rated about 2 or 3 times the power you will be listening at and the same for the speakers to minimize distortion.

And that is per channel. Example you have a head unit that is 200 watts 50 per channel. Then you want speakers whose max rating is 100 watts or more or whose continous rms rating is at least 50 watts or more on each channel.

Think of speakers like a car motor, there is the maximum HP an engine will put out flat out, but you wouldn't want to do it very long or kaboom. Then there is a power level it will run at indefinitely. The Indefinite level for a speaker is the RMS continous rating.

Last edited:

19bonestock88

I compared those values when i bought the setup... The HU is supposed to put out like 200 watts over 4 channels, and the speakers are rated at like 300peak per pair... I thought i was good, lol

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Yeah peak ratings are what screw you. Gotta look at the RMS continuous. Look at some Polk Audio DB651s

19bonestock88

Cost? Not that it really matters as i dont have money to redo the system, but out of curiosity, i could use the knowledge...

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
About $100 from crutchfield for a pair I'm sure you can find them cheaper around town. I have some in my van in the rear doors and I forget what in the dash, something in the same range In a 2 wy with a JVC kdr 600 Head unit. 200 watts on the JVC. Nothing fancy but it plays great.

19bonestock88

Are they co axial or component?

And i have a JVC KD-S79BT in my wifes car driving four TS675M speakers... Its painfully loud and really clear up to almost full volume

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Hmmnnn sounds like the problem might be more head unit than speakers. These Polks are coaxil they also have separates which are a little more money.

I was looking on crutchfield and my Kdr 600 has been discontinued probably the KD r645 is closest.