So I have a friend visiting from Dallas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jinxtacy, Oct 4, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

here's his blog entry since I was waiting for it and I was far too lazy to write it up myself.

Subverting the Trope "Big Dumb Heroes"

A few prefaces to this particular adventure: During High School I was in a cross country team with some really good friends. One of these friends was named Jinx. He and I were a few of the ‘slightly crazy’ group of kids that I hung out with. He introduced us to street racing in Dallas, where the ultimate rush of running from the cops was tantamount to bliss. So with this in mind, I’ve been staying Jinx’s house here in Kauai. We usually are reigned in by more sane friends of ours when we look like we’ve decided that fun is better than safety or good judgment. Unfettered, we decided to go for a hike.

Hanakapi’ai is supposed to be a 4 miles in, 4 miles out relatively difficult hike. Knowing this, we started at about 3:00pm on Tuesday, but in trying to find a parking spot found several neat caves that we wanted to check out before embarking on the main hike. Waves and wind had hollowed out large caves in semi-circle fashion. Some of them went several hundred feet down below sea level and had nice little stagnant pools of salt water at the bottom. After a few pictures, and 30 minutes of poking around in some holes in the ancient igneous rock faces, we head out on the main trail.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kauai is beautiful. Pictures can’t do it justice, come out and do it yourself. With a lot of energy and a lust for adventure, Jinx and I half-jogged through the trails greeting other hikers as they funneled out of the trails. Several amazing views of the ocean and some neat beaches from over 1000 feet up (which we climbed in the first half mile) were breath taking. We came upon a beach that had a protected pool behind a big sandbar and I jumped in while Jinx took a smoke break. We started heading toward titular falls, and checked down our responsible side. “It’s getting late yeah?” Jinx remarked. “Aught we to turn about?” I quipped back, thinking that a good recourse to hiking at night. “Nah, there’s supposed to be something cool at the end of this trail, lets keep going.” Jinx said with finality. I didn’t argue, as ‘something cool’ stuck out to me like a side quest in a Zelda game. We crossed the river several times, hopping about on the river rocks with ninja-like balance (mine after much training, Jinx’s inherent in his asian-ness) and made good time upstream. In the distance we saw a massive cascading waterfall from the top of an impossibly high cliff. I was getting excited, further locking my responsible side away in the dark corner I usually keep it in. We saw a straggling couple and asked what time it was. 5:00. Plenty of time to make it to the falls.

Another half an hour or so and we’d arrived at (and I am not exaggerating or just using superlatives) the most beautiful spot I have ever seen or been to in real life. Water fell (uh, duh) from what must have been close to 1000 to 1500 feet off of a sheer cliff to settle into a bowl of pristine, clear, fresh rain water. It was cold, and it was refreshing. We took a lot of pictures, jumped in, and felt the falls on our head and swam around a bit.

[​IMG]

Panoramic View - best thing next to being there.

Energized, we went to the task of getting out of the valley before dark. After deciding that going down a much less traveled trail to cut through on the right side of the stream, we found familiar markings on the trail and realized we were making great time. We stuck to our blazingly fast trail only to find ourselves blazing our own trail. The trail had terminated into nothingness. We had to keep our pace up, and finding a trail would be the best use of our quickly being scratched and bruised bodies.

We found no trail. Quickly darkness began enveloping us as we made our way toward the beach one painful foot at a time. For every time Jinx fell several feet into an unseen ditch, I’d find the thorniest bush or tree and throw myself longingly at it. We soon were relying more on the moon for light than the waning sun. “Jinx, I’m glad that its you and me in this situation, most people would be freaking out.” I calmly remarked. “I need a cigarette.” Jinx said, for about the third time since we started churning through the dense tropical underbrush. “Lets just keep heading towards the beach, that’s where we’ll see the main trail.” I reassuringly let out. We trudged forward. Many times one of us would exclaim “It’s the trail!” only to follow it for a few meters and find we were had, once again. Never letting the adventure devolve into frustration, we kept our chins up. We could see the beach! After many cuts and bruises we’d made it back in sight of where the real trail should be. I celebrated by falling into the river and dowsing my camera and iPhone. Jinx celebrated by slipping on the same stone as I and dropped his lighter. We’d thought of camping out for the night at the beach before, but fatigue had run its course on our minds, and we decided to press on. Being that the Moon was shining from the Southeast, we were completely in the dark as we went north and east up the cliff side, leaving us with no recourse but to use a Jinx’s cell phone as a flash light. This is not as easy as it sounds, as after the leader gets over a particularly difficult area, he has to stop and shine the spot so the follower can get over it. When trying to make good time, this is not very conducive.

After what was another hour of night walking on a slippery high-incline trail, I’d started cramping and Jinx had started dying energy wise. He wanted to stop for a bit, and I couldn’t or risk cramping up entirely. We were the perfect team. I convince Jinx to keep going and we trudge up, around and back down the mountain ridge. Two hours and fifteen minutes after sundown we finally make it out of the hellish hiking trail. We walk the 10 minutes up the road to where Jinx parked and settle in for the long road home, to find that more than the lighter went into the river when Jinx slipped. The keys went as well. A perfect end to a perfect night.

This was the first of two ridges we wrapped around at :40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg2A7Tr8it0

-------------------------

Just thought I'd share some idiocy. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. Oct 4, 2009 #2

avsp

avsp

avsp

L 344 R 492

Strewth Strike a light, guvnor. Least you're OK. From a purely narrative POV, in a way, its shame that you weren't caught, with all ID lost in some mountain stream, hot-wiring the car. The lighter loss might also feature in an ensuing 'the most cigarettes' tale of your night in chokey. All, of course, to be followed by the account of your difficulties in obtaining a replacement quarter-light due to identity theft

3. Oct 4, 2009 #3

avsp

avsp

avsp

L 344 R 492

p.s. 'trope' eh? Best be careful, that kind of fing can get you into trouble, ..., izzit tho but?

4. Oct 4, 2009 #4

The Keyser

The Keyser

The Keyser

Original Serial Thrilla

once again..i love when you post

5. Oct 4, 2009 #5

EsChassisLove

EsChassisLove

EsChassisLove

formerly Sittinslidewayz

San Diego, CA trying to get cops to pull me over
    Dude that place looks amazing. Bet that night hike was a good laugh the next day huh?

6. Oct 4, 2009 #6

dallas05taco

dallas05taco

dallas05taco

Miracle Maker With Chloroform And Astroglide

LOL after watching the getaway i shall be staying away from hawaii for awhile. i do miss it tho. where's Kauai ?

7. Oct 5, 2009 #7

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

Everyone thought we were dumbasses walking along 700 foot cliffs. Honestly I can't disagree. I was cleaning out my backpack the next day and found a pack of matches that have been in there for god knows how long. I've learned what to bring when going hiking in the future. :lol:

It's a purely fictional movie. Hell if you get in a fender bender everyone is slowing down to look at you blocking up the highway. Aside from hippies who need to shower, ice addicts, and angry Hawaiian/local people who look like they spent hours in the weight room daily this is a super chill place.

[​IMG]

8. Oct 5, 2009 #8

dallas05taco

dallas05taco

dallas05taco

Miracle Maker With Chloroform And Astroglide

Mahalo.

Ooh thought Kauai was a city. Ive only been to Oahu so thats all i know about Hawaii. Really been wanting to go back, i was there for about 2 months and all we did was drink and hit up Waikiki every single night. Didnt do as much tourist stuff as i wanted to thats why i want to go back. I miss North Shores and driving on Kamehame Hwy.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  9. Oct 5, 2009 #9

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

Oahu is like a mini LA. Kauai is like Alabama with Asian/Pac Islanders.

10. Mar 16, 2010 #10

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

You would know about tropes wouldn't you? :lol:

11. Mar 16, 2010 #11

One Eyed Jim

One Eyed Jim

One Eyed Jim

My Liver is Divorcing Me

Awesome. I didn't know you ran XC in high school Jinx. It is true, XC runners are a different breed of people.. a bit crazy.

12. Jan 6, 2011 #12

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

Yeah. I accidentally became one at the urging of coaches. I didn't see what the big deal was. I walked/ran over a mile to school and back home in West Texas. I'd go a couple miles to a friends house and always wanted to maximize the time I could stay over so I'd time it out and I'd run like hell home. I never thought of running as fun, but it was just kind of easy. High school came and recruited me to run for them while I was a freshman in Jr. High. Kind of neat to letter while still going to Jr. High. :lol:

Football coach got ahold of me though and decided I was going to play football for him, but I moved to Dallas that summer and tried to a void it all, but couldn't find the golf coach to join that team so I just defaulted to track, thinking I could avoid any serious competition. He figured out what I could do and then I was back in cross country. It was hard to stay motivated when my interested really started to lean towards how fast I could go in the quarter mile vs. 3.1 miles. :lol:

latest reply EVER!

13. Jan 6, 2011 #13

Jared

Jared

Jared

Latest reply ever...

14. Jan 6, 2011 #14

Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

Well I'm glad I got a chance to read the thread. Very interesting and neat. Thanks for the late bump.

15. Jan 6, 2011 #15

avsp

avsp

avsp

L 344 R 492

'latest reply ever'? Are you sure? Sounds like a challenge to me? Do you know a later reply? Yes? Then write giving all your details, (including your bank sort code), on a postcard or the back of a sealed down envelope, to the usual address. All entries to be recieved before. The winner will get their own congratulations.

16. Jan 6, 2011 #16

Fonzie

Fonzie

Fonzie

now has a lighter version

also enjoyed the read! and wow that panoramic view is incredible!!!

17. Jan 6, 2011 #17

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

Sorry I forgot the code script word thing to make ghost text. I just typed in "ghost" for the color and that came out. Really didn't give a shit at that point. :lol:

18. Jan 6, 2011 #18

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

There have been much older. It was just to quell any gravedigger remarks. I had just forgot the name of the movie and did a quick search for this thread and saw I missed a comment. :D