So I bought a Jeep

NIGHTSHADE

They're fun, easy to work on and maintain, they can take quite a thrashing, and it does not take much to make them obstacle friendly. For $500 bucks I got new tires, 4 inches of lift, skyjacker brake lines and a tow hooks

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
if i was to ever own a jeep it would most likely be an XJ.
For the money, it's damn-hard to beat the XJ if you're looking for a 4x4 toy. $2k gets you a decently clean one with the 4.0L inline 6. You're sure-as-shit not buying a Wrangler/CJ for that. At least not one that's drivable.

Parts are reasonably easy to come by. Not quite as many options as Wranglers, but they're still out there in sufficient quantities.

Dan

Doing 100
For the money, it's damn-hard to beat the XJ if you're looking for a 4x4 toy. $2k gets you a decently clean one with the 4.0L inline 6. You're sure-as-shit not buying a Wrangler/CJ for that. At least not one that's drivable.

Parts are reasonably easy to come by. Not quite as many options as Wranglers, but they're still out there in sufficient quantities.
Yeah, I've kind of been bitten by the parts bug on this one. Been looking online at rockauto and spending lots of time browsing craigslist. Tons of parts out there. I'm looking to get some type of additional lighting system (like fogs or led bar), roof rack, and tow hooks right now. Oh and a small to medium sized stinger bar for the front.

Put a new head unit in it last night, much better than the old one and now I've got ipod/iphone compatibility. Searching for a 10" sub now.

I've found a lot of lift kits for it for cheap, and I'm contemplating going to a bigger lift. 4.5" or 6" skyjacker would be pretty sweet. :D

NIGHTSHADE

Im trying to get rid of my roof rack lol. Quadratec is the Jeep parts haven and its dangerous to look in there for long periods of time lol. Your truck would look sick with a 6" lift on 35" All terrains, Dune bar with fog lights up front, tire carrier and clevis's on the rear and youre set :D

Skinny Will

Attention..Disorder..Shit
Yeah, I've kind of been bitten by the parts bug on this one. Been looking online at rockauto and spending lots of time browsing craigslist. Tons of parts out there. I'm looking to get some type of additional lighting system (like fogs or led bar), roof rack, and tow hooks right now. Oh and a small to medium sized stinger bar for the front.

Put a new head unit in it last night, much better than the old one and now I've got ipod/iphone compatibility. Searching for a 10" sub now.

I've found a lot of lift kits for it for cheap, and I'm contemplating going to a bigger lift. 4.5" or 6" skyjacker would be pretty sweet. :D
did you buy it to be a toy?

Dan

Doing 100
did you buy it to be a toy?
I bought it because I like it and it was a ridiculously good deal on one of the cleanest XJ's I've ever seen. I've always kind of wanted one.

But I still don't know exactly what I want to do with it. The stuff I'm talking about doing isn't even close to being extreme or hardcore though. It's very basic stuff that's easy to take off or will increase the value even more.

I just love driving it. I'm driving it to Jacksboro tonight and I'll get the tires off pavement for the first time. Probably do a little bit of basic hill climbing but I doubt there's any mud out there which is fine with me. I don't want to tear it up, just enjoy it.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
I bought the Rough Country 4.5" lift for mine. In hindsight, it was a terrible decision. It rode like shit and sucked balls to drive. Pain in the ass to get into, pain in the ass to get out of, handled like shit. Of course I also slapped some 33" Nitto MudGrapplers on there too. Not exactly the best road tires.

If I had it all to do over, I'd probably put a ~2" lift on it, some 31" BFG ATs, maybe some fender flares and then leave it alone. Which looks about like what you've already got on it.

Dan

Doing 100
I bought the Rough Country 4.5" lift for mine. In hindsight, it was a terrible decision. It rode like shit and sucked balls to drive. Pain in the ass to get into, pain in the ass to get out of, handled like shit. Of course I also slapped some 33" Nitto MudGrapplers on there too. Not exactly the best road tires.

If I had it all to do over, I'd probably put a ~2" lift on it, some 31" BFG ATs, maybe some fender flares and then leave it alone. Which looks about like what you've already got on it.
Yeah I've got 31" BFG ATs and a 2" skyjacker lift. The tires aren't loud and annoying but even with just a 2" lift it doesn't ride smooth. Most jeeps don't, even the new ones ride like shit. It doesn't bother me though, I kinda like bouncin' down the highway lol.

EDIT: I looked at the tires again, they actually are 31".

Last edited:

David Anderson

David Anderson
Jeep with JUNK suspensions ride bad, skyjacker, procomp, rough country, rancho......all bargain junk. I build a xj with a full OME kit, c-rok steering brace, complete axle rebuild front and rear with 4.10s, 32" duratracs. This jeep rides very similar to a newer pickup. If you want to check it out, he brings it over once every now and then for general upkeep.

Sk8phreak88

Nice vehicle for sure. The motors are crazy durable. But the moment something bad happens they are CRAZY expensive to replace. Even with a scrap yard motor.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Nice vehicle for sure. The motors are crazy durable. But the moment something bad happens they are CRAZY expensive to replace. Even with a scrap yard motor.
I disagree. My brother killed my 4.0L; buying a <100k junkyard engine, replacing damn near everything that could reasonably be replaced while swapping the engine (clutch, water pump, mounts, ignition components, gaskets, harmonic balancer, thermostat and housing, paint, gaskets, etc, etc, etc) I had just over $1800 in it total. And that was including front brake pads and rotors. For an engine replacement, that's not bad IMO. Engine itself was $500, and I definitely could have gone cheaper on the replacement parts if money were an issue.

Sk8phreak88

Yep, you're right. I was totally thinking the bigger V8 motors. I've turned down a few grand Cherokee's that were dirt cheap but needed a motor, turned them down because the motors were stupid expensive.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Yep, you're right. I was totally thinking the bigger V8 motors. I've turned down a few grand Cherokee's that were dirt cheap but needed a motor, turned them down because the motors were stupid expensive.
GCs are a bit different. David may disagree with me on this, but there's not enough money in the world to get me to buy an old GC. Regardless of whether they're I6s or V8s.

Slow 6

Damn, that's clean for a 97. The ones I see are usually beat to shit and not taken care of. Looking forward to following your progress on the new addition.