Should I trade my 1990 300zx N/A for a 1992 Mistubishi 3000gt Vr-4?

Discussion in 'Imports' started by David21, Oct 8, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

So I got an offer on my 1990 300zx 2+2 5 speed manual with 180,000 miles, that only needs a one piece drive shaft to be perfectly reliable. I've owned the car for three years now. I love it, but was looking to see what I could get. Right now the ujoint is busted that is in the middle of the 2 piece driveshaft, it would cost 400 for the one piece driveshaft and install.

Now for the vr4. It has had the engine rebuilt 7,000 miles ago, and has 120,000 miles on the car. These cars are twin turboed and four wheel drive and very highly optioned. Now for the bad, the car has a wheel bearing going out on the driver side front wheel, and the fuel pump went out so it was replaced with a walbro 255 pump in, but the car isn't running right since, he thinks its a power supply to the pump that is the problem. I have talked to German from GS motorsports about vr4's and he told me the transmission is the weak link and they are kinda pricey to have repaired, the car that is.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this car, or if you think this is a good trade for me or not. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

pics of my z

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Vr-4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Oct 8, 2009 #2

The Keyser

The Keyser

The Keyser

Original Serial Thrilla

NO NO NO! i repeat NO! its a dsm..thats all you really need to knw. it was rebuilt for a damn good reason...prlly ragged out to hell and back. a wheel bearing is the least of your problems. DO NOT DO IT. im from the import world. if u do decide to say fuck it and screw urself atleast try and get some kind of papers on the rebuild..or anything period. but honestly..dont scew urself man. those cars..Mitsus in general are a PITA and are allll kinds of expensive to work on. if it aint one thing its another..ESPICALLY with VR4's

3. Oct 8, 2009 #3

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Really? The guy I talked to, German, said that as long as you don't beat on it and race everytime you drive it, it shouldn't have many problems, he said the tranny was the main problem if you beat on it.

4. Oct 8, 2009 #4

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Just an fyi keyser, 300zx's are a pita and expensive to work on too. Not trying to argue just stating a fact, idk if 3000gt's cost more.

He has all the papers and receipts on the rebuild.

5. Oct 8, 2009 #5

The Keyser

The Keyser

The Keyser

Original Serial Thrilla

if its boosted from the factory..and already had a "re-build" THER WILL BE MORE PROBLEMS. plus..once you hit boost in the VR-4, hit a corner with that AWD at 60mph and it takes it like a cute slut and asks for more. youll start trying to justify reasons to "rag on it" trust me man..stick with your 300. in the end..youll come out cheaper reparing the 300 then you will that vr4

6. Oct 8, 2009 #6

s10tuner86

s10tuner86

s10tuner86

I haz ecotechz

I would go with the 3kgt, I personally love those cars. Transmissions in most awd cars seem to be the weak link once you beat on them anyway but lets face reality what do you expect when you abuse something. Is he sure it's the fuel pump? if so when he did the rebuild was it to oem specs or did he change anything mainly injector size if it's a fuel issue the new pump may not support the injectors if he went with bigger. That 3kgt should have a base horsepower rating of around 275 crank I believe if I remember output was only upped in the 99 version (the last year). They are heavy not the best for the twisties the car will feel more comfortable in a straight line I've been told.

7. Oct 8, 2009 #7

s10tuner86

s10tuner86

s10tuner86

I haz ecotechz

to let you know I am speaking from experience with a 92 vr4 idk if you've driven it yet but as far as handeling that was my thoughts.

8. Oct 8, 2009 #8

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

^Kinda confusing cause you put so you've been told about the handling then put they were your thoughts lol

9. Oct 8, 2009 #9

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

I wouldn't rag it out, i have a more powerful car to play with, I just want it as a nice dd, that I can enjoy driving around in. My z has 180,000 miles on it, and I have beat the shit out of it these past three years, lol, mostly the first two. So I'm worried its gonna get pricey with the z soon.

10. Oct 8, 2009 #10

LRD

LRD

LRD

Aude Sapere

If you just want a DD stick to the z since atleast you know its history and problems already.

Personally I would do the trade because AWD > RWD, and the simple rareness factor appeals to me a lot. As far as I've heard both of these cars are probably about the same pita to work on. :shrug:

11. Oct 8, 2009 #11

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Personally, I wanted a vr4 when I bought the z but they were outta my price range, this car is worth more than mine, has more potential, and is just as rare. Personally AWD, all wheel steering, twin turbos, better loaded with options, and working ac. This car is way better than my z. I just want peoples advice of what they think that have had one or know alot about them. I want a dd that I can also unleash every now and then, maybe make a trip to mexico or canada every now and then.

12. Oct 8, 2009 #12

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Anyone that has an opinion go ahead and put in your .02, I want to get as many peoples opinion as I can.

13. Oct 8, 2009 #13

oChristiano

oChristiano

oChristiano

I haz secret crush on Bowtie

Right there, if you think he is trading down to a inferior car with no hidden agenda(like its a money pit, or POS), well you deserve to drive a DSM..

Theres always a reason for everything, and nothing in life is free.

14. Oct 8, 2009 #14

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Hints why I'm getting a full diagnostic of it at GS motorsports :thumbsup:

15. Oct 8, 2009 #15

1sxyfox

1sxyfox

1sxyfox

If everything checks out good and its something you want i say go for it, i have had 4 dsm cars and loved them all. even though i had to redo a head cause the timing belt broke. but to me it was all worth it. the vr4's are hard to come by and a nice one even harder.

16. Oct 9, 2009 #16

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

^Thanks for the advice. Yea they are, I did a cl search for them and there wasn't anything decent around except a 97 for 11g's. I was thinking about getting a 240sx, so if I have problems with it or don't like it, I can fix it and sell it for more than my z's worth and buy a better car ya know?

17. Oct 9, 2009 #17

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

bump

18. Oct 9, 2009 #18

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키

I thought we went over the fact that 3Kgts aren't DSMs in other threads. I may be wrong, but iirc then these are incorrectly classified.

I had to split this post apart just to serve my thoughts.

Personally I like the Z how much would you sell it for? :D

19. Oct 9, 2009 #19

zxautogiro

zxautogiro

zxautogiro

that whay i lov my z32 2+2 tt 5speed good luck in your choice.:rocket:

20. Oct 9, 2009 #20

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

The DSM's had 7 bolt mains, the 3000gt vr-4 has 4 bolt mains. Idk what DSM stands for though.

LOL, yes I did abuse over the three years, but all the abuse was my first two years, it was my first car that I actually drove. I have done many burnouts, donuts, and drifts with it and it still runs as strong as ever. I was selling it for 5g's. I have had offers for 4g's, offers for trucks, motorcycles, a 97 prelude, and a bunch of random stuff.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009