Should GM build a LNF 4cyl Z/28?

The LNF Z/28. Would it sell well? Would you buy it?

• Yes, I think it would sell well and I would buy it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I think it would sell well, however I wouldn't buy one.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Yes, I would buy one, but I don't think it would sell very well.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I wouldn't buy one and it would not sell very well.

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters

Mike

First read this:

From Super Chevy magazine October '09.
I cant find the article on their website so I dont have a link.

Now I really have no Idea what to expect......

SC:Now that the Camaro is in the showrooms and on the street, whatabout extending the model lieup with a cobertible, and possibly a Z/28 version? What would a Z/28 be like?

AO: The convertible has been announced, but it has been delayed until 2011. As far as a Z/28, or a performance version, we've had this debate internally many, many times. What would you call the performance version? A Z/28? A COPO? A Yenko? Would you bring back a nostalgic name, or not? Create a new one? The SS was always the big dog Camaro, not the Z/28. The first Z/28 was built just to get us into the racing circuit against the Mustang and all the other cars that were in that class. If you were going to take a Z/28 approach, you'd try to stay true to the RPO, build a car that you could drive daily on the street, take to the drag strip and do well, or take to the track and do well, which the original Z/28 did. Take some things out of it, get the mass down, use and existing small-block, maybe an ls7, an ls9. Make it a great performing car for the purist.

Well, after I read this on Camaro5, it got me thinking. What if GM built the Z/28 as a lightweight track car and utilized the LNF ecotec engine that was used in the Solstice GXP?

Here would be the recipe, I think, for a solid car:

1. Use a tuned version of the LNF engine delivering approx. 300hp.
2. Use a slightly tuned version of the SS suspension. Basically the same suspension just a slightly lower ride height and a little stiffer ride.
3. Use the Brembo braking system from the SS.
4. Trim the weight of the car down to about 3200lbs by the use of lightweight materials like carbon fiber, smaller lightweight wheels, etc..
5. Sell for same price range as SS. 30-35k.

This would result in a car with handling far superior to the SS and acceleration times that would split the difference between the SS and V6. It would have the straight line performance to hang with a GT Mustang. ( I figure it should run mid 13s.) and would walk all over a Track Pack GT in the twisties. :D

Considering that the original Z/28 was a track car, this is actually more true to its heritage than building it as a GT500 fighter.

(I feel the GT500 fighter should be called the ZL-1 and utilize the LS9 drivetrain. Possibly even include the Carbon ceramic ZR1 brakes as an option. Depending on their cost, of course.)

So the question is this, do you think building a Z/28 like this would be a wise move for GM? Would you buy one yourself? Do you think it would sell well?

Personally, I think it would do fairly well and diversify the Camaro's market to other groups of people besides the typical muscle car guys.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
Nope. Last time a 4cyl was in a Camaro, it didn't work out too well.

Mike

Nope. Last time a 4cyl was in a Camaro, it didn't work out too well.
What if they used the 3.6 V6?

However I would imagine there is a decent weight difference between that and the LNF, making 3200lbs less achievable.

Just some fun speculation to get your minds going. :)

xcman18

No way you can put a 4 or 6 cylinder into a Z-28 and expect it to sell well. Trust me there is plenty of weight reduction possibly in them cars and still have a V-8 in it.

FunkyStickman

one Hoopy Frood
I think it would rock as a track car, but it won't sell well. Ford tried it with the Mustang, didn't work then. Since the Kappa platform is dead, I'd consider buying one if I could.

Fonzie

now has a lighter version
4cylinder z/28 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life!! period. it's not a fuckin' import. shave some weight and put the biggest motor you can shove under the hood.. it's the american way! :D

Dan

Doing 100
4cylinder z/28 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life!! period. it's not a fuckin' import. shave some weight and put the biggest motor you can shove under the hood.. it's the american way! :D
:word:

Mike

Oh if they could build a LSA powered z/28 that weighs 3200lbs I would go for that. Too bad it would cost 80000.

nhanson

MN FTW
Oh if they could build a LSA powered z/28 that weighs 3200lbs I would go for that. Too bad it would cost 80000.
it would not cost that much...the CTS-V is only around 65-70k i think?

they definitely need to continue the LNF platform but in a fucking camaro...if the aveo wasnt so tall and boxy and looked more like the astra then that would rock

Z400

What if they used the 3.6 V6?

However I would imagine there is a decent weight difference between that and the LNF, making 3200lbs less achievable.

Just some fun speculation to get your minds going. :)

3.6 v6?

:lmao:

Did the much more powerful 4.3 Vortec V6 happen to slip off your mind?

Mike

3.6 v6?

:lmao:

Did the much more powerful 4.3 Vortec V6 happen to slip off your mind?
Since when did the 4.3 have 304hp??

I'm talking about the Direct Injection V6 in the new CTS and current V6 camaro FYI. IIRC its 3.6.

Last edited:

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
Why not just make a potent 4cyl compact RWD coupe. If they wanna sell cars, bring back the car that Nissan and Toyota no longer offer: The reasonable priced RWD sports car.

Mike

Why not just make a potent 4cyl compact RWD coupe. If they wanna sell cars, bring back the car that Nissan and Toyota no longer offer: The reasonable priced RWD sports car.
I agree. *cough* Nova *cough*

However, I don't think GM can afford to design a whole new car platform right now. Unless they use the Kappa platform. :thinkhard:

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
I agree. *cough* Nova *cough*

However, I don't think GM can afford to design a whole new car platform right now. Unless they use the Kappa platform. :thinkhard:

Nah, not a Nova. I think bringing back the Corvair namesake would make more sense. It's definitely a bare part of the market with only the Genesis and RX-8. GM has the powerplants to do it.

Slow 6

When I think of Camaro 4 cylinder isn't the first or 2nd thing to come to mind. That would take some getting used to. I personally don't care for the idea.

nhanson

MN FTW
GM did...the sky and solstice..but they stopped making them now