"Server not found"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike, Oct 4, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1

Mike

Mike

Mike

Ok, I recently did a full system restore on my computer. It had this problem before then and still does. No matter what browser I use, I get a similar message. In FF I get the "Server not found" when putting in a website. ANY website.

However all I need to do is click "Try again" or reload the page and then it works normally.

It does this randomly. Sometimes a website will work fine, other times I will get this message. :?

Very rarely, refreshing won't work and the message will appear non-stop. If I restart my computer, it works normal again. (Well, normal being the message only stays up until I hit "Try again".) This occurs once every few days.

Does anyone have a clue what this may be?

BTW, I am using a laptop connected wirelessly to a Netgear router. I doubt its my connection since it is the same router and connection I have been using for over a year now.

2. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Cazy_Beast

Cazy_Beast

Cazy_Beast

Scan for viruses etc, if its clean..

It very well may be the router or adapter, they crap out spontaneously sometimes (been through several linksys's that just died for no apparent reason).

Sys restore may have set you back to a point where your internet settings are not on par with your current connection/connection type.

Who knows, troubleshooting a network can be a bitch sometimes.

You might want try setting Firefox's internet settings to default if not already. Also try restarting your router and modem.

If that doesn't apply or doesn't help, call your ISP and have em do some diagnostics on your connection.

If everything is fine on their side and modem wise, it might be your router or adapter, if so call netgear and see what they can do.

If all else fails wipe your drive and re-install windoze, if still having problems after that its more than likely the router and adapter, scrap em and replace.

If problem consists after all that, id set my computer in a field and shoot at it, then burn a large building down.

Edit: and careful with sys restore, NOT always the easiest and best solution to windows issues.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #3

mmadden55

mmadden55

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot

You may be on a multi server network, that tasks servers on an available or random basis so your computer which automatically goes for the last server used when you open a new browser by way of default will pop up that message when you get a different one. No biggie just ignore it of go into tools and turn off the warning.