RKC Monday Night Meets at Quaker Steak Canceled due to Parking

J

Jared

RKC Members and DFW Car Enthusiasts,

With regret I must announce that the RKC Monday Night Meet's in Plano at Quaker Steak and Lube must end, effective immediately.

From the first event we ever had there, parking was a concern, and with the enormous popularity of the RKC Monday Night Meet in DFW over the last 8 years, we easily overwhelmed all parking areas at Quaker Steak and the Container Store behind it.

Despite over $8,000+ in additional sales since our event began there, Quaker Steak was unable to reach an agreement between the Container Store and the property manager, and it was decided that the meet should cease as the case was made that the Container Store was losing sales as a result of cars parking in their lot before 9pm.

I would like to be clear that no behavior was taken into consideration here, as it was up to all reasonable expectations. You all know how to behave, and you did well. I am proud to be associated with the DFW car community.

The stark reality is that running, promoting and organizing car meets of substantial size is a hobby few partake in, and any meets existence depends on many factors, luck being one of them. Luck was not on our side this time.

Since 2005 I have dedicated a substantial portion of my free time into building RKC as an organization that car enthusiasts depend on to provide quality events. I am as resolute as ever to maintaining this expectation from you.

This Thursday on the 13th we will host a large drag event at North Star Dragway, and on Saturday the 15th we will have our massive Block Party event in conjunction with local group "Texas Imports Today". We remain committed to providing events, meets, shows and activities for car enthusiasts in Texas, Minnesota, and beyond.

I do of course have "Plan B" and "Plan C", but will need more than a few hours notice to administer them. You can expect the new RKC Monday Night Meet location for DFW to be announced as soon as this week, with a projected start date of 6/17/13 .

It is a tiring, and mostly thankless job to be doing this. When I began I was a care-free adolescent 21 year old working a minimum wage job. Today I am nearly 30 years old, own my own company, and have the responsibilities and expectations of man leading a family as well as a business. Now more than ever, leading RKC is a labor of love to which I only dedicate my time due to its needed product: quality car events for car enthusiasts. This is my passion.

I thank you for your understanding of this matter, your patience, and your trust. We have two other great events to look forward to this week, but the RKC Monday Night Meet is the foundation of our organization. It will be repaired quickly.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and take full responsibility for any criticism as a result.

Thanks.

-Jared

Danger Ranger

trying not to be so fat
Thanks for continuing to bring us locations and to never stop Jared. Many places over the years, lots of great times, great people and wonderful memories. I hope to be having more. We (rkc members) await the announcement of the next location!
Please don't get discouraged and keep it up.

Ike Turner

So, as I explained to Jared only minutes ago, I have had an idea for a meet for years.

We need a pretty much vacant parking lot, perhaps one owned by someone that is not using it, that is well large enough to support us, and then we invite food trucks to come in and serve food.
Then, we could set up a vender section, invite the sponsors to come out, pass out their cards/fliers/pamphlets/handbills, and, assuming that there is no issue with the owner, we could finally have our own space, one that is not in the way of another business or whatever.

The biggest hurdle, of course, would be finding a person that is interested in allowing us to use their space.

So, members, how about we all scout new locations, compile them, and then Jared and I can do some recon and see how viable the location really is. With a few dozen people on the look out, we have a better chance.

J

Jared

So, as I explained to Jared only minutes ago, I have had an idea for a meet for years.

We need a pretty much vacant parking lot, perhaps one owned by someone that is not using it, that is well large enough to support us, and then we invite food trucks to come in and serve food.
Then, we could set up a vender section, invite the sponsors to come out, pass out their cards/fliers/pamphlets/handbills, and, assuming that there is no issue with the owner, we could finally have our own space, one that is not in the way of another business or whatever.

The biggest hurdle, of course, would be finding a person that is interested in allowing us to use their space.

So, members, how about we all scout new locations, compile them, and then Jared and I can do some recon and see how viable the location really is. With a few dozen people on the look out, we have a better chance.
:thumbsup:

Odin

Slow on DR, fast on RKC
Liability to the property owner will probably always be the sticking point. But is that car dealership on 635 and Welch still vacant? I think it was a Volvo dealer or something, sat vacant for 10 years. Not a great location, not terrible, but had plenty of parking.

J

Jared

Liability to the property owner will probably always be the sticking point. But is that car dealership on 635 and Welch still vacant? I think it was a Volvo dealer or something, sat vacant for 10 years. Not a great location, not terrible, but had plenty of parking.
Totally true.

Empty parking lot is empty of liability.

Can't blame them for wanting to keep it that way.

In this particular case, Container Store threw a fit.

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Found it Lou Foote airfield. It is now an industrial park. Still a huge empty lot at Danieldale and I35e In Waxahacie. Can't tell from satelite photo if is hardcover or dirt.

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
And Hensley field. The City of Dallas owns it now but it has huge paved runways and no nearby residences, they might let you use it.

There is a dart bus park and ride here in Arlington that a group uses on Wednesday night. Its pretty big and not used after working hours. Its a lot where people park there cars to catch the bus. Its off i20 and park springs. Right off the freeway.

frakkin toaster

...pop the hood!
There is a dart bus park and ride here in Arlington that a group uses on Wednesday night. Its pretty big and not used after working hours. Its a lot where people park there cars to catch the bus. Its off i20 and park springs. Right off the freeway.
thats the park springs meet...i went there a lot this past summer.

there is a wide variety of cars there lol. actually every auto stereotype you can think of...