Rat-Infested Ghost Ship Headed For The UK?

Mr. Turtle

Big WarS
Experts believe an unmanned, missing Russian cruise ship might be making an unexpected landing in Europe soon. The crew of the Lyubov Orlova deserted the ship after it was impounded over unpaid debts in Newfoundland in 2010. Two years later, the Canadian government was towing it to scrap in the Dominican Republic. When the towline broke in heavy North Atlantic seas, the Canadian government decided to just let her go. After several recent storms have hit the North Atlantic, experts now fear that the ghost ship might be heading for landfall in Ireland, Scotland or the southern tip of England. And that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that the ship is probably carrying horrible cannibal rats.
And im guessing they are already planning a movie about it :). Wasn't seen in almost a year

http://screen.yahoo.com/rat-infested-ghost-ship-headed-224503964.html

avsp

L 344 R 492
Doesn't this mean there's a free cruise liner for anyone who can get it together to get to it first? Could probably gas the rats if there are any.

avsp

L 344 R 492
'southern tip of england'? Well busy shipping lanes down there, i believe. If some proto-pirate or salvage scrap merchant does grab it first some navy'll've to grab it, cant have a cruise liner aimlessly drifting round there

avsp

L 344 R 492
Its not actually been seen since last march, the irish navy say they've not seen it (but lets not let mere speculation write a news piece, eh?) and this blog is diverting, (there's a surprising number of ships adrift). http://www.whereisorlova.com

frakkin toaster

...pop the hood!
sounds like good target practice for someone...

...would make a nice new habitat & all-you-can-eat buffet for the local marine life too.

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
sounds like good target practice for someone...

...would make a nice new habitat & all-you-can-eat buffet for the local marine life too.

I have been kind of wondering why the haven't just sunk the thing in the first place. Granted, it might still have fuel and other dangerous chemicals in it. Who knows.

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Y'all may remember the Japanese trawler adrift for over a year that they sank when it drifted into shipping lanes in the Pacific NW?

Zerocool394

#1 swing set mechanic
Awesome.

My favorite "ghost ship" is the Baychimo which was abandoned after it was stuck fast in ice in 1931 but spotted several times over the next few decades and it was last sited stuck yet again in an ice pack in 1969 THIRTY EIGHT YEARS after it was abandoned.

I have always wondered what happened to "wild eyes" the sailing vessel that was piloted by the youngest girl to ever sail around the world at the time but had a mast break and was subsequently abandoned a few thousand miles from anywhere. They started a campaign to save wild eyes but then it disappeared a few days later. It was worth at least a million dollars from what i remember....

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Adrift at sea perhaps came to ground somewhere, possible. The Polynesians came from Indonesia originally and crossed the Pacific in essentially outrigger canoes with high bows and sterns and catamarans which were two outriggers bolted together.

avsp

L 344 R 492
Were this boat to actually approach the British Isles I greatly suspect that rats would gather on the shores hoping to board. MEANWHILE difficult to imagine pre-industrial ppl to Hawaii except by boat. Also difficult to believe that it'd've been found by purposeful exploration. Weeks adrift in the Pacific, generations apart, island hopping for a new thousand years, ..., sounds like that could possibly be a specific 'evolutionary pressure', maybe favouring those who could survive longest on the least, ..., perhaps, maybe.

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
It is why Polynesians run to fat and Hawaiians are the fatest of all. Exploration by canoe, lost at sea who knows. Them Brit rats better watch out canibal Russian rats will take over their nests eat them up!!!!

Last edited:

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
Were this boat to actually approach the British Isles I greatly suspect that rats would gather on the shores hoping to board. MEANWHILE difficult to imagine pre-industrial ppl to Hawaii except by boat. Also difficult to believe that it'd've been found by purposeful exploration. Weeks adrift in the Pacific, generations apart, island hopping for a new thousand years, ..., sounds like that could possibly be a specific 'evolutionary pressure', maybe favouring those who could survive longest on the least, ..., perhaps, maybe.

There is a Hawaiian island that only a handful of europeans/civilized people have been on. It's been owned by a family for over 150 years and they've let the tribe that lives on it be to themselves since. I can't remember the name of the island off the top of my head but you could Google it fairly easy.

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Don't care for rats particularly Russian Canibal rats, seems like only the biggest smartest nastiest evilest rats would survive, then mutated by chemical waste aboard ship the rats get as big as dogs and they wash ashore eating everything in their path multiplying while they go, the army trying desperately to hold them back with flamethrowers and napalm.....

frakkin toaster

...pop the hood!
^ sounds like the makings of a cheezy horror movie...

plot:

animal rights activist hear of the ship and its "crew" adrift and that it will be sank to keep the shipping lanes safe. they gather a team, a large group college students on spring break. they board the boat to relocate the helpless rodents only to become food for the mutated cannibal rats.

a few of the activist find temporary safety deep in the ships interior...