Put flamethrowers on the '68 Grand Prix... So why no fire?

EchoStatic

Broke and broken!
Does anyone have experience with these? I put a spark plug in each tail pipe about 2" from the exit. I made sure they spark. (They each have their own coil pack.) I rev it up and hit the spark, but no flame. It runs VERY rich, so it seems to me like it should light... So what gives?? Any ideas?

hi5ingmf

most people put an extra injector in there to get that affect... You don't have enough fuel if you just run rich unless there is something majorly wrong with you car...

EchoStatic

Broke and broken!
I figured the clouds of unburnt gas that billow out of the pipes would do the trick. Hrm. I guess it's possible the site (axdo.net) lied about what their kit could do, and coming from them, I wouldn't be at all suprised... I might have to rig up a pump and a couple fuel lines.

EchoStatic

Broke and broken!
At 2" they are pretty close to the outside world. The instructions said many put them 3"-6" back. Maybe I could just put a little fuel tank in the trunk along with a little fuel pump and run some fuel line down to the pipes.

эллэвэхк

I love food
At 2" they are pretty close to the outside world. The instructions said many put them 3"-6" back. Maybe I could just put a little fuel tank in the trunk along with a little fuel pump and run some fuel line down to the pipes.

Good idea. I would make the entire system external so that you dont have to make the car run like shit.

EchoStatic

Broke and broken!
Yeah I would rather not rig it to cut the ignition. That engine is old and tired and I'm asking a lot of it, and will only be asking for more. I don't need to hasten its eventual death!

nhanson

MN FTW
your cutting ignition to the engine when you try and make flames right? that way the fuel isnt used and goes the flamethrower spark

my buddy has a 78 firebird with flames

1. rev up

2. kill ignition

3. spark the tail pipe

4. get flames

thats my understanding of what he told me

EchoStatic

Broke and broken!
I got a better idea that wont wear my engine like cutting the ignition will. I bought a small electric fuel pump, I'm going to T into the fuel line coming from the tank and then T the line coming out of the pump. Each line will go to a nozzle installed further back in the exhaust and spray fuel to be lit by the spark plugs. Should work beautifully.

hi5ingmf

I got a better idea that wont wear my engine like cutting the ignition will. I bought a small electric fuel pump, I'm going to T into the fuel line coming from the tank and then T the line coming out of the pump. Each line will go to a nozzle installed further back in the exhaust and spray fuel to be lit by the spark plugs. Should work beautifully.
:thumbsup: That is pretty much what I tried to explain in my shitty post

EchoStatic

Broke and broken!
Oh look you did... Well then thanks for the inspiration? Lol... I have everything but the nozzles. I'm gonna see if I can just pick up some misting nozzles at home depot. I figure I can just splice the power line for the pump in with the wire going to the spark plug coils. I don't know much about wiring, but the coils already have a 20A fuse. The pump says to use a 3-5A fuse for it. Will it be alright as is or will I need to give it it's own smaller fuse?