Performance mods

Postman

Not set in stone but i think I've opted to pick up an R6 or CBR 600 instead of a 1 liter bike like i've been looking for. I've recently test drove them both and can't decide which i prefer. The R6 has a more aggressive throttle response while the cbr is a slightly more comfortable ride. Anyhow, that's beside the point I really need something i can back up without having to stand next to it. That's where my dilemma comes into play. I really would like a bit more than stock power. Suggestions on performance parts that are semi-easy to install and cost-efficient?

Postman

I'm not saying this from personal experience but from extended talks with a few guys who work at a yamaha dealership and at a performance motorsports place. They've both advised me against lowering a bike. Somethin somethin about it throwing off the perfect balance/ratio crap. I don't know if they're just Yamaha fanboys or if there is some truth to it? Another reason I was looking into the 600s is my insurance is significantly cheaper from the 1ks.

Tyler

GTO's suck
I'm not saying this from personal experience but from extended talks with a few guys who work at a yamaha dealership and at a performance motorsports place. They've both advised me against lowering a bike. Somethin somethin about it throwing off the perfect balance/ratio crap. I don't know if they're just Yamaha fanboys or if there is some truth to it? Another reason I was looking into the 600s is my insurance is significantly cheaper from the 1ks.
i'm sure there is some truth to this, but how far are you really going to push the bike? are you a moto gp racer? normal/ aggressive riding is not going to be affected by a 2" drop.

a 600 is never going to come near the performance of a liter bike without double the bike's worth in mods. we're talking internal engine mods, sprockets, and tune. if you truly want 1k performance and your only issue is that you're too short to push it, just lower it.

if it's a cost thing, maybe consider a 750? still under that magical 900 number for insurance, but more performance than a 600 (not a ton mind you)

my body fits well on new age gixxers. i wouldnt ride anything else at this point, unless of course i didnt have to pay for an aprilla or ducatti.

one of the most popular bike that is still affordable and has awesome performance is 05-07 gsxr's. people still swear by them. and your insurance should cut you a break if you buy an older 1k.

ANORXIC'51

First off, what do you plan on doing with the bike? THAT is going to determine the direction of what bike you'll want to go after (without even getting into the previous riding experience part of the discussion), as well as modding plan of action.

-Parking lot pimpin/MAD RESPECT
-Straight lines only as if your life depended on it
-Street cruising with twisties whenever you can get to them
-Street majority with trackdays thrown in for good measure
-Track majority with some street riding thrown in for sanity
-Track only

Short answer: if you aren't into aggressive street/track riding, dropping a bike by a couple inches isn't the end of the world for its handling.

-Christian

Last edited: