New Summer Toy

NIGHTSHADE

So today I was bored and was sifting through craigslist and I found a 1980 Yamaha XS850 Midnight special for $600. Outta curiousity I drove down and looked at it and it was in a lot better shape than I imagined it. The frame was dusty but clean, the motor started right up and ran smoothly, the tires were brand new and the tank was almost mint. It has a few little things to tend to but I think it'll be fun to ride around for now. Tuesday if its nice, Im driving it home, otherwise, Im gonna throw it on the trailer and tow it home

Driftboy1989

Sounds cool! I wish I had my 1979 Honda CB750K again. I had to sell it unfortunately. I'll buy another eventually. Congrats on your new bike!

NIGHTSHADE

Well it was a cold ass ride but I got it home yesterday. It definitely needs a tune up but other than that its almost been preserved by the dirt. Ill put up pics once Im home from work

NIGHTSHADE

Midnight Special with gold trim:puke2:

She's ugly, but it meet my qualifications for a beater bike: It ran, It drove and didnt make any bad noises.

Dr. Satan

Sacred Cow Tipper
Triples have such a unique sound to them.

There isn't much better for a "beater" bike then a late 70s, early 80s UJM.

NIGHTSHADE

Every bike Ive owned have been 1980's. I love em. Pretty basic to work on, and they may look a little bit ugly stock but a little cutting and welding can go a long way

NIGHTSHADE

So I took the bike for a cruise and it can definitely use some attention but it rode fine, handled pretty decent for being so old.

NIGHTSHADE

Update.

Me and ryan asp got the bike cleaned up, Made a list of everything that needs attetiom and got it apart to fix a draw coming from a bunch of exposed wires... Which resulted in a chunk of the rear frame getting cut off, and the exhaust and carbs being removed. Now I need to stop at Premier Upholstery and see If I cant have a new seat made.

NIGHTSHADE

So we hit a little bit of a set back. We went through the carbs and cleaned them up and new the bike idles anywhere between 4-5k, the left side crank cover needs to be replaced And the new headlight we installed didnt work so Im guessing its a bad ground somewhere. Other than those 3 things we only have to get a seat made for it, get new air filters for it, and fill the front forks. Paint will have to wait until winter when we have time to strip everything down and clean it up. Final exhaust might get made up within the next couple weeks but the jeep needs some attention.

NIGHTSHADE

It is waaaaaaay too loud to daily. Completely straight pipes with turn downs right now. After its all said and done it will come out the right side of the bike under my right foot into a NASCAR style 3 into 1 tip