Manual snowmobiles?

220swift

Hi, I'm new to both RK and snowmobiles. I have ridden a couple, but i hate the fact that they have an automatic torque converter choosing your gear ratio for you. Does anyone know if there are sleds with a manual gearbox available? Anyone ever custom built one?

THESANCHEZ

lol yeah there are like 3 step sleds but there drag sleds with 600+. That cant be used on anything but ice and light light snow will run you about 50+ tho think i will stick with my "slow auto" and its a centrifugal clutch not a torque converter

rawfish

You gotta be careful with the manual ones. You have to double clutch when shifting and allot of green horns often have a hard time slipping the clutch on the 2nd and end up doing this

Its especially dangerous on the new yamis, when the vvti kicks in the tq is excessive and can result in endos.

THESANCHEZ

The 2jz uses VVTI must be fast cus you know the supras have it. Must be some sort of witch craft tom cruse is using or could just be Variable Valve Timing intelligence.

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Heck I'm from Texas where snowmobiles are considered dangerous yankee contraptions, and I know there are no manual ones. Be like a manual jet ski....

CLRD4TO

Ive always thought this would be a fun redneck fab project. Stuff in a motorcycle engine with gearbox and have a sequential shifting sled! Unpractical, heavy, and bulky, more of a look-what-I-can-do project. I also want to do the same thing to a golf cart.

...If I ever get a pole barn and too much time, my wife will divorce me.

Troy S

Regional Leader
The kid said he was new to snowmobiles.

Anyway welcome. Stick around and learn something.

Ask more questions, just dont be afraid of the answer.

Git Er Dun

Turn 3!
Ive always thought this would be a fun redneck fab project. Stuff in a motorcycle engine with gearbox and have a sequential shifting sled! Unpractical, heavy, and bulky, more of a look-what-I-can-do project. I also want to do the same thing to a golf cart.

...If I ever get a pole barn and too much time, my wife will divorce me.

My buddy and I built a manual 5 speed 600cc go-kart...

:D

bramagedained

A few times I've tried to explain to my friends who were from the south about snowmobiling. Nearly every time they seem to think doing 85+ down a 10' wide trail through the woods at night is crazy.