Idle problems

Discussion in 'Mustangs & Fords' started by willybrownmg, Oct 11, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1

willybrownmg

willybrownmg

willybrownmg

I have a 92 hatchback with all of the typical bolt ons. Cold air intake, victor jr heads, typhoon intake manifold, 70mm throttle body, e cam, and 1 5/8 long tube headers. Ever since i've started this project, i've been having a lot of trouble getting it to idle smoothly, first it won't start without giving it a little gas and then it kind of goes up to a 1200rpm and then back down to seven hundred. I have tried replacing the maf and tps with no luck, and when i play with the fuel pressure it will be great and then once i drive it around it begins to idle around 550 to 600rpms once i stop at a light. I do not have an msd ignition set up or any other ignition modifications, could this be my problem, or does anyone have any good ideas? starting to get a little frustrated with it.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

2. Oct 11, 2009 #2

PatientZero

PatientZero

PatientZero

Did you check that your timing is correct? Didn't say anything about it in the post. Also try the iac. I was having the same prolems with my e cam, it ended up being sensor malfunction. When you replaced the tps, you did go through that whole process of adjusting the tps in conjunction with the idle set screw, right? Maybe you need a tune? I didn't get one though and my car ran fine.

3. Oct 11, 2009 #3

Fonzie

Fonzie

Fonzie

now has a lighter version

that doesn't sound like that bad of a problem? is it constantly surging?! do you have any vacuum leaks anywhere? What's your timing set at?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #4

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

I have an E303 cam as well.I had some idle isues and I got the adjuster plate that is placed between the IAC and the EGR spacer.It uses a tiny little allen wrench to adjust it.It worked great,and that was over a year ago.Steady idle and zero issues.

5. Oct 12, 2009 #5

willybrownmg

willybrownmg

willybrownmg

vinnietbird, where did you get that plate that is in between the iac the egr spacer?

6. Oct 12, 2009 #6

willybrownmg

willybrownmg

willybrownmg

oh and fonzie yes it is surging and i have checked for vacuum leaks and don't believe that i have any, but you never know. Probably should check the timing since i can't really remember what it is set at after the last few mods.

7. Oct 12, 2009 #7

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

Vinnietbird

I bought mine a long time ago from Ford.Here's one on Ebay.All you'd need (since this one has been used) is two gaskets and an allen wrench (which any tool box should have).You remove the IAC,install this between the spacer and IAC and have the allen screw facing upward.Once it's installed,start the car,let it idle,and adjust the screws until the idle is where you want it.It takes longer for me to type this than the actual job really takes.LOL.If you have any questions,let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en