I really want a sled, what's out there for a decent price?

Troy S

Regional Leader
I'm not looking to break the bank. I just spent a full week in Vegas, I'm going to TX next month and Maui next spring, so money is a little tied up.

But I've been after a sled for a while. If I can find a great deal on a good sled I might be able to talk myself and the wife into it.

So what's out there for 2k or less?

600cc or more. Anyone selling, know anyone selling? What shouldn't I be looking at?

I like Arctic Cat and ski-doos for the most part.

240Dragon

No Quid Pro Quo.
mines for sale Troy.....:)

You can get alot for 2k I think though just depends ....you could probably find a pair with a trailer for 2k

Troy S

Regional Leader
I'm concerned about year and miles.

Depending on Make, 98 is the oldest I'll go, and 4k miles is by far the most miles I want.

I am hoping to find a good deal like Nick did a few years ago.

I would like a 99-01ish AC zr600 with 2k-2500 miles on it for $2k or less.

hight3chredneck

I has a mullet
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/rvs/2651209703.html

Okay, i know that you said you wanted less miles, and $2000 or less, but for your big ass, i think you should go with a bigger sled. Searching cl quick, this is the best for what you are looking for. I would try and stay away from 98 or later like you had mentioned. i have a soft spot for triples..

i have been scouring CL for the last month for the sled we bought, the closer we get to snow the higher prices go. Finding someone who is looking for cash and would drop their sled for a steal would be optimal, but hard to come by. keep an eye out and talk to people, that is how you find those deals. or cl your ass off.

Last edited:

Blownsvt

Original RKC MN Member
thats funny. I bought that exact sled. 99 zrt 600 with 1400 miles on it for $1650 back in 2005.

Troy S

Regional Leader
I know right?

These people think sleds are worth their weight in gold.

I would be interested in that sled for $1500 I might just have to call.

Blownsvt

Original RKC MN Member
I know right?

These people think sleds are worth their weight in gold.

I would be interested in that sled for $1500 I might just have to call.
not to be a downer but I doubt he takes it. Sled prices have come way up. Personally I blame the price increases on new sleds. A brand new zr 600 back in 2000 would have run about $5500 now the equivlent model in 2011 costs $9,000. Because of that people feel like their old sled should be worth more because the gap to a new machine is so great. It is what it is though. Rock bottom price on anything decent is going to be about 2k.

Fotoboy

lol my mxz is for sale, 600 cc total engine rebuild last season. Suspension rebuilt last season. it rips good, just ask Matt or Nick. I was gonna post on cl for 2500 obo after the snow falls. lmk

Troy S

Regional Leader
Well I can go look at some, flash cash and see what happens.

My max dollar is $2400 or so if I want it before xmas.

I can't believe toys are going for that money.

4500 miles is when shit starts breaking left and right.

Fotoboy

Well I can go look at some, flash cash and see what happens.

My max dollar is $2400 or so if I want it before xmas.

I can't believe toys are going for that money.

4500 miles is when shit starts breaking left and right.
3400 miles, new track fresh rebuild on motor top and bottom and suspension at 2900 miles. dep on what i leav on it teh price can adj too. THis is a reliable sled. ITs always a crap shoot dealing w cl buys

Troy S

Regional Leader
Dan I was going to ask you if you had planned to sell that.

After reading about you going through it last year iirc.

I responded to your text.

THESANCHEZ

I'm not looking to break the bank. I just spent a full week in Vegas, I'm going to TX next month and Maui next spring, so money is a little tied up.

But I've been after a sled for a while. If I can find a great deal on a good sled I might be able to talk myself and the wife into it.

So what's out there for 2k or less?

600cc or more. Anyone selling, know anyone selling? What shouldn't I be looking at?

I like Arctic Cat and ski-doos for the most part.
The old MXZ are kick ass lot of em around for less than 2k. with pull start no heat best thing i can tell you is get a cylinder compression tester get specs on the sled before you go look at it. Make sure there some what good and even cant count how meany times i have had to pull apart and rebuild motors for friends.

Fotoboy

The old MXZ are kick ass lot of em around for less than 2k. with pull start no heat best thing i can tell you is get a cylinder compression tester get specs on the sled before you go look at it. Make sure there some what good and even cant count how meany times i have had to pull apart and rebuild motors for friends.

I got mine for under 2 then the engine blew up with in a few hundred miles redid the top end then the tstat stuck at 40 miles so blew it again. Went through the whole motor top and bottom after that. Even has forged Weisco pistons now which are lighter than stock. Im assuming my new one I just bought will have issues but I got it for a good price and budgeted for issues right away. Low mile clean sleds in MXZ are around 2500. I saw one at the dealer the other day and damn near choked at 3500 lol. I not budging off mine for what I want. I know its a good sled and they rip. If I dont sell it Ill keep it for a spare. I know as soon as the snow flies prices go through the roof too til spring.

rawfish

My first sled was a 97 mxz 583. had it for about 4 seasons and put a ton of miles on it mo real problems but regular maintenance. Bought a new yami and it sat around for about 3 years. Pulled her out and she started on the old ass gas!

Cleaned her up and gave it to a friend that took it on a long trip up to the up. It ran balls to the walls all weekend with no problems!

rawfish

the 670 would be a great sled. New plastic ski's are cheap but if the oem ones are ok a nice set of carbids would do for now.

One Eyed Jim

My Liver is Divorcing Me
The 670 Ski Doo's rip pretty good. I had a 98 Formula Z 670 that my dad bought brand new then handed down to me when he got a new sled on 02. I only weighed 140 at the time but the 670 makes a good trail motor, torque everywhere, unlike a triple.

CLRD4TO

A brand new zr 600 back in 2000 would have run about $5500 now the equivlent model in 2011 costs $9,000.
I havent looked at sleds in the last 5 yrs, the last month Ive been getting ready for this year and couldnt believe what new sleds cost these days. There is no way in hell Id spend $9k+ for a toy to use for just a few months. But people must be buying them otherwise the price wouldnt be that high.

When most powersports (sleds, bikes, boats) reach a value of $1000-$1500, they stay there for years. A bump in a couple hundo now I think is due to the excellent snow fall last year and anticipation for another good year.

Troy, low ball on these older sleds, most sellers will take it. I looked at 6 sleds priced in the $1500 range and I didnt want to budge from my $1k budget, every one would take $1100. Also, dont get totally hung up on mileage. Regular maintenance and storage play a huge role in the condition of an older sled than just the odo. You are going to want it looked over before snow flies too. Good luck in your search!