i need intake help

Discussion in 'Technical & Modification Discussion' started by bwatson, Oct 6, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1

bwatson

bwatson

bwatson

i wanted to get a universal intake kit, just help with gas mileage and stuff a bit. i wanted to know if anyone could help me with this. i know i need the pipe, but i don't know which kind of elbows and such i would need.

i have a 2008 pontiac g5 2.2l

it's the same engine as the chevy cobalt.
    the throttle body face towards the hood, so i didn't know if i needed a 90 degree elbow, or what other parts i'd need.

if you could list out the parts i would need to make it fit under my hood that'd be greatly appreciated!

thanks

-Brandon

2. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Mike

Mike

Mike

Welcome Brandon but this thread would be better suited for our Tech section. I'll go ahead and move it.

Please make a second thread with some pics of your car!

3. Oct 6, 2009 #3

bwatson

bwatson

bwatson

pics of my car?

or like how the airbox and throttle body are in good stock positions but weird for any after market?

4. Oct 6, 2009 #4

Mike

Mike

Mike

I'm asking you to make a new thread in the newbie section with some info on yourself and ride since I moved this thread. :thumbsup:

EDIT- Have you considered a Ebay intake. You can get them for as little as $25. All you will need is a good filter like a K&N. A piece of pipe is more or less a piece of pipe. Plus most of them follow the exact same design as brands like AEM. I know my Ebay intake for my Neon was the same as my buddies $250 AEM one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  5. Oct 6, 2009 #5

iminhell

iminhell

iminhell

Fallout Shelter For Sale

Stay away from the universal intakes, and I've a good idea you're talking about the shinny plastic ones available at parts stores (and yes they are plastic).

To be very blunt/honest you'll see no mileage gains with any CAI/SRI that you wouldn't see with a higher flowing stock replacement filter (K&N, Fram Air Hog, ITG, etc). The gains actually come from the pressure drop of a better flowing filter and not so much the location or type.
    The CAI/SRI thing is really about looks more than anything and $ per $ you have to asses how much you're willing to spend for decimal MPG increases or varying opinions of HP gains (me, I spend as little as possible).

But I can assure you that your car is capable of very good fuel mileage. I've a good friend that got 44MPG average with his Cobalt on the open road, 55MPH average speed.
    If you aren't an animal on the throttle and drive at conservative speeds, it does make a big difference.

6. Oct 7, 2009 #6

corbin09

corbin09

corbin09

At mommy's house, letting her pay all my billz
    i agree... stay away from the plastic intakes. If you really want a good intake, you might as well shell out the money for one that will work. the universal ones are constructed cheaply, and usually have no R&D behind them as to if they are helping or actually in some cases hurting your engines performance.

7. Oct 7, 2009 #7

Marcus

Marcus

Marcus

Yep. Cheaper the better. The piping is all the same. You're just paying for a brand name. I'd just buy an ebay one, 12" filter, some header wrap, and call it a day, or the cheaper route, and just get a drop in filter, and remove the ducting.

8. Oct 7, 2009 #8

hi5ingmf

hi5ingmf

hi5ingmf

get a drop in filter, call it a day.

Just remember not all filters are equal.

9. Oct 7, 2009 #9

goldfinger67

goldfinger67

goldfinger67

NRRA FTW

I would just get a K&N drop in and be done with it.

10. Oct 7, 2009 #10

iminhell

iminhell

iminhell

Fallout Shelter For Sale

Not always. With some name brand companies there is R&D work that has gone into the product, and to some extend CARB certification and patent rights. All of which cost the company money and the cost of which is reflected in the product cost, but this does not hold true for all.

When they initially design the intake they make a mock up close to the factory bends and inlet locations. This is in part to the Mass Air Flow Sensor and how it is calibrated and it's location. With each bend in the pipe there is a pressure change/variation. Create one too close to the MAFS and you can change to load tables (spark and fuel) and the car may run like poo (ebay SRI for the early WRX's are a perfect example). A well thought out design will involve flow testing with manometers in various locations to ensure smooth air travel and no disturbances prior to the MAFS. Extreme cases Computational Fluid Dynamics may be used to extract the most gains or bypass trial and error.

Point is, there's more than simply 'it fits' that goes into them, or can go into them. Just because it looks similar does not in any way mean it will react the same. And then you have the whole ordeal about did they "steal" the design, is it CARB legal/exempt, etc.

11. Oct 7, 2009 #11

LP2 S13

LP2 S13

LP2 S13

ebay pipe and k&n cone filter.

12. Oct 7, 2009 #12

hi5ingmf

hi5ingmf

hi5ingmf

Never use an oil element filter on any car with a MAF, causes problems due to intake tract sucking in oil and coating MAFs causing false readings.