how to install a second battery??

72camaro

ok in my 94z28 ive got a single orion XTR pro series 12'' sub and its running off a 1800 watt amp, problem im having is when the heavy bass starts going my interior lights start to flicker and the battery gauge starts to jump up and down, and it effects the cars idle when at a stop, now i already have a second battery i want to put in the car to run the amp off of, but my question is how do i go about connecting the 2 batteries so that they both will keep charged up? anybody have any info, will be much appreciated thanks

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
I'm assuming cost is an issue for him so he probably wants to take the cheap route.

Although a second battery is good choice and a better way to go, a capacitor is another option that is cheaper and will involve less work (not by much). If cost is not an option, do it the proper way and go with a secondary battery.

72camaro

so im going to be in need of a bigger alternator? and ive heard that capacitors dont stop the lights flickering issue

Ike Turner

so im going to be in need of a bigger alternator? and ive heard that capacitors dont stop the lights flickering issue
Check your local options. Most alternator shops charge $1 an amp to upgrade your alternator, and they give you a warranty.