Home theaters anyone? Here's mine so far

JeremyD

Molon Labe
Heres a link to a slideshow: http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/jwdominick/Home theater/?albumview=slideshow

Equipment already acquired includes:
Sony STR-DG 1100 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDPS100ES Blu-ray player
Monster HTS 1600 Power center
Still need to order up a primary media source, will likely be a HD DVR from my cable company and possibly a Media PC of some sort

Favi 100-hd powered 16:9 screen

Sonance Moderno in-wall speakers all around (inwalls were a requirement of the wife to allow this room to exist)
7.2 set up includes a Pair of Moderno M6's for mains,
MLCR center, another pair of M6's for main surrounds, and a set of M6R's for surround rears.
One M10 sub, wired into the Main M6's and a Infinity Interlude CMMD 250w powered subwoofer for the primary LFE channel

As you can see from the pics the walls are almost ready for paint, still need to decide what colors I am gonna use, and what to do about the ceiling. (considering texture options)
If you noticed I have a nice cut-out for a projector, my plan is an Epson 8350, its wired and ventilated into my ducting (cold air return with a small power exhaust fan between (silent)
Equipment rack backs up my furnace room so i intend to tap into the cold air return for air circulation on the audio stuff.
all the walls/ceiling contain fiberglass insulation to help limit the noise outside of the room

Carpeting and trim will be last, (house was built in 07 and contains mostly red oak woodwork so I'll likely match the rest)
No plans for tiered seating as this room although primarily a HT, is dual purpose and when the screen is away it will serve family room duty (a walk up bar and pool table are in the works for the room to the rear of the projector soffit.
I welcome comments/suggestions

Skinny Will

Attention..Disorder..Shit
looking good man! it's gonna be great once it's done. i know you covered it a little bit but what do you think you're gonna do furniture wise? maybe multiple recliners? sectional?

JeremyD

Molon Labe
looking good man! it's gonna be great once it's done. i know you covered it a little bit but what do you think you're gonna do furniture wise? maybe multiple recliners? sectional?
I want theater seating, but that may limit the room, recently purchased a nice leather power reclining couch and rocking love seat package from shneidermans for my main family room up stairs, may do a similar set in the theater
Its coming together!:thumbsup:
slowly! goal is to have it done for the holidays though :thumbsup:

JasonCzerak

My theater/office/hot tub room is going to be tits. Hot tub came with the house... Rooms finished, but needs paint, couch, bigger tv.

This area will have the tv (70" I hate projectors). Current stuff goes. Custom shelving has been sketched to make it all minimalist like.

Pictures as I pivot where the sectional couch will go

Utility / 3/4 bath entrance

Second bath entrance plus hot tub

Don't have a full pic of the Wet-bar but there's wine racks and a fridge

Marley keeping cool

This will be a while, need to spend money on other things first. But the potential is nice!

JeremyD

Molon Labe
I was lucky enough to start with a blank slate vs. Jason having to demo and work with existing walls.

Jason, if you havent seen the latest in projector technology you'd be amazed! I have a 60" plasma in my living room and the image is supurb, I have a 50" in my bedroom and that too looks great even the 26" LCD in my shitter looks good,
but 100"+ from a projector on a screen in daylight can rival some of the best on flat panels and did I mention 100+ inches? its scalable too!

Last edited:

JasonCzerak

I've heard it, never seen it. Plus putting in a projector setup is more work then I want! Any demo is just cabinetry, so that's not to bad. Wires will be just covered where needed. I'd love to start like you but it's not worth the effort or money IMHO.

You sure your sub setup will be enough? At my old place with hardwood floors a 450 watt 12" was almost enough. The new place with cinder block walls and cement floor the LFE sound isn't there at all for a downward firing sub. I'm thinking 2 forward facing subs up front and the 450 12" by the wet bar

How much are those projectors and screens running these days?

JeremyD

Molon Labe
I've heard it, never seen it. Plus putting in a projector setup is more work then I want! Any demo is just cabinetry, so that's not to bad. Wires will be just covered where needed. I'd love to start like you but it's not worth the effort or money IMHO.

You sure your sub setup will be enough? At my old place with hardwood floors a 450 watt 12" was almost enough. The new place with cinder block walls and cement floor the LFE sound isn't there at all for a downward firing sub. I'm thinking 2 forward facing subs up front and the 450 12" by the wet bar

How much are those projectors and screens running these days?
I have tested the sub set up out and for now 2 10's will work, I know down the road I'll want more and I have planned ahead just in case.

As for screens and PJ's you can get into systems in the 2k range and have something worth watching so not much more than the larger flat panels, down side is no tuner, or internal sound to just "watch tv" but then again who doesn't want surround sound while watching the evening news?
On the higher side, the sky is the limit just like the audio side

MelloYello

Vertically-Challenged
Unfortunately, where I live now, I don't really have the option for a home theater.

But, for now, Im just using my older Panasonic SA-HE70 Receiver, and two Polk Audio book shelf speakers, and an Infinity 12" woofer. The rest of my setup is in storage which consists of an old school Bose 7.1 system.

But, once I get into my own house(currently rooming with some friends) I plan on doing a home theater PC, along with a projector setup and build my own speaker system with mix of Polk and Selenium Pro Audio.

Last edited: