For some stupid reason

Dr. Satan

Sacred Cow Tipper
I've always loved choppers. Not the OCC theme bikes, or the Big Dogs or stuff like that, but more long distance, every day riders. But the big question that's nagged me was "could I even handle a hardtail". Well, The answer is yes. And this bike is what let me test it.

It's a 1983 Honda CX 650 Custom, that's been mutilated. Ebay Z-bars, Custom struts for the rear end and an ebay seat with vinyl covering from Jo Anne fabric. The exhaust was just taken off at the headers.

It's a small bike, and without the stock breadloaf seat and shocks, I look pretty silly going down the road.

The blackhawk gas mask carrier is how I carry what I need. I've got a big magnetic tank bag for longer trips.

Shaft drive, transverse V-twin that revs to 10k RPMs. For a 30+ year old 650, it downright rips when the right cylinder isn't cutting out. Valve adjustments are easy. Exhaust is loud, I'm gonna get a 2-1 bent up for it soon. Till then, Earplugs are my friend.

Handlebars are mid height and tight. It's a nice setup, but I'll be going about and inch lower with drop ends too. These Z bars tips don't line up and it's frustrating to look at. No Blinkers, and the mirror I bought sucks and is about to come back off. Headlight lights up.

Seat is weirdly shaped, and the foam is the wrong stuff. Easy fix.

No front fender means it's really invigorating to ride in the rain. Rear fender isn't quite long enough, and I get sawed up the back. Great all weather bike for florida.:roll:

That brings it to the suspension. The front end is stock, and needs to be rebuilt (yeah, not gonna happen). The rear end is some pretty heavy duty struts. The frame will break before they will. The change in geometry makes the handling really lazy, but very stable on the highway. Took some getting used to. Off road the front washes out easily. Standing is hard, the handlebars are narrow and super low in that position so changing direction is tough.

So, do I like it? Yes. It confirms, to me, that I would be happy on a chopper. As is right now I can do about 300 miles in a day before it's not doable anymore. Mid pegs make the difference for me, being able to lift up and not take a hit from road bumps is the key for me.

LRD

Aude Sapere
This looks sexy but I'm surprised you can do 300 miles on that thing :lol:

mmadden55

Pontiac Pilot
Sounds like a 1200 Sportster Bobber just might be your bike, I do like the Honda though you are right, you make that bike look like a minibike.

[youtube]3_sHdEggobQ[/youtube]

Last edited:

Dr. Satan

Sacred Cow Tipper
This looks sexy but I'm surprised you can do 300 miles on that thing :lol:
Oh, I'm hurting something fierce at the end of that kind of day. I dunno, I just cruise at my pace, and stop when I want. I don't ride stampede style like I did on the last three bikes, that's for sure.

Sounds like a 1200 Sportster Bobber just might be your bike, I do like the Honda though you are right, you make that bike look like a minibike.

[youtube]3_sHdEggobQ[/youtube]
Not really a fan of the catalog custom.

I've been thinking about a sporty. Not like that though. Something more like this...

or

Complete with a jockey shift. The only thing is that I know how badly most evo sporties have been beaten down here and I don't want to inherit a problem. I also don't want to spend anything hopping up an 883.

Hell, don't tell anyone, but I've even looked at a few of the ironheads that are in good shape here.

I've also been leaning towards the FXR-T, with the fairing intact, or maybe try my hand at a Buell XB series bike.