Can you recommend an air buffer / polisher

lt4mula

Can anyone recommend a good air buffer/polisher? Or at least what to look for in one?

I'd like to use to buff out scratches, swirl marks, etc. I do not do any body work or paint. I do have two black cars that show all imperfections.

I'm looking for something with about a 6" wheel.

rwhockey29

Town Bicycle of Car Ownership
i use a corded dewalt variable speed buffer with 3m double sided 100% wool pad at work. although the variable speed is a bit more difficult to use, i wouldnt recommend just picking one up and starting to work on a car with it.

lowboy_580

Check out www.autogeek.net they have alot of porter cable buffers. They even have whole packages you can buy. With a little elbow grease you can achieve great results.

If you do decide to go with a dewalt variable speed. To get the hang of it start of slow (800-1200rpms) to get the hang of it. Most defiantly watch any edges. With the aggressive compound and a wool wheel. You will more than likely burn through the clear. But even then there is way more to it.

Hope I helped.

Last edited:

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키
Didn't we have like a Tropicare or something long those lines sponsor that sold and manufactured detailing stuff?

Dan

Doing 100
Tropicare became ShowroomFX. Steve Pasztor is the owner and a damn good guy. I highly recommend him and his products:

http://www.showroomfx.com/

He also sells buffing packages with rotary tools, pads, and compounds all together.

lt4mula

These are all electrical. Is electrical the way to go instead of pneumatic?

And thanks for the warnings. I understand buffing isn't something you can just pick up and do well immediately. I have some old parts i can practice on first.

I have done some casual reading on it in the past. I will be doing some more reading on it before getting to work on something I care about.

lt4mula

Just dropped $312 at Autogeek!

Are DA polisher safe enough to jump right into something I care about? Or should I practice first?

I'm a reasonably careful person. . . And I would rather not waste product practicing if it's unnecessary.