ATTEN: ALL Ethanol peeps!

Fotoboy

Rumor has it with the current drought this year that E85 will be shipping in e70 this year. Ive already notice about .5 richer on my last fill up. :( Gonna test in to make sure next tank fill.

It would be nice to make this a sticky too!

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키
Honestly to run ethanol I wan't a good engine management that has the features of various for safety. I thought I was going to do ethanol until I kept learning more about it and realize dI'd really like a much more capable computer that can compensate for various levels of ethanol.

For me it will probably ProEFI as it strikes m as impressive for the price. (excuse the acting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CzmmMUy50

Another article you might find interesting is that e85 is not exactly what everyone believes it is. Here's an article excerpt (link provided below - good reading).

Inconsistent Ethanol Content

The whole point of running E85 is to take advantage of the superior properties of ethanol, right? And E85 means 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline right?

Not exactly.

Referring to "ASTM D5798-11 Standard Specification for Ethanol Fuel Blends for Flexible-Fuel Automotive Spark-Ignition Engines" we see that the 85 in E85 signifies a maximum ethanol content of 85% with the remainder being "unleaded gasoline, gasoline blendstocks for oxygenate blending (BOB), natural gasoline, or other hydrocarbons in the gasoline boiling range."

Clear enough. 85% Ethanol and 15% WTF-ever, right?

Not exactly.

The 85 percent doesn't refer to pure ethanol, but to denatured fuel ethanol which already contains 2% gasoline to make it "unsuitable for beverage use under a forumla approved by a regulatory agency to prevent the imposition of beverage alcohol tax."

The real meaning of that bit of lawyer-speak horseshit is that E85 has a maximum ethanol content of 83%.

And that defines our maximum, so what about our minimum?

Are you sitting down?

The original specification set the minimum ethanol content at 75% which was lowered to 68% in June of 2010, and lowered again to 51% in June of 2011. As of February 2012, this is the current specification and E85 purchased from the pump could have an ethanol content as low as 51% and still be within spec.

So now that you know the what, you're probably interested in the why. At least I hope you are. You didn't come here with a blank stare and drool running down your face expecting to see how many people "liked" E85 did you?
http://www.injectordynamics.com/AlcoholArticle.html

Fotoboy

Sorry man, there are way too many shops that pimp this stuff. I had it on my na setup and would never consider going back to pump now with my new fi setup. If u tune the timming for e70 and the fuel for e85 you are safe.

This thread is also to just let the peeps know what up. Not the people that don't run it. This means both of u Guys lol.

Ps the vid is pretty cool

Last edited:

Fotoboy

For over 2 k lol I'll stay with stock ecu. My car can go closed loop so in a pinch I can run pump just part throttle and cruising though.

iminhell

Fallout Shelter For Sale
I don't drive the old car enough to notice any changes.
But I did hear on the news, people (poultry producers) bitching about how we shouldn't be burning 'food' in our vehicles.

We shouldn't be eating once wild animals.
We shouldn't be using a limited resource as a fuel.
We shouldn't be driving 100 miles 1 way to work for $15/hr.
We should all be 10' tall and smarter than a 5th grader by evolutionary standards.

Dear poultry producers of America, stop farming out work to illegal immigrants and maybe I'll listen to your BS.

Jinx,

The Octane variation isn't that great from E-70 to E-85. IIRC it's about 1-2 points. And IMO if a tune is that ragged edge that 1 Octane point will make the car suffer, you've got bigger fish to fry.

iminhell

Fallout Shelter For Sale
I still have it locally. But the bastards are charging $0.40/gallon more than I was paying month and a half ago.
Still cheaper than you guys get it at though.

iminhell

Fallout Shelter For Sale
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/08/14/business/little-falls-ethanol-plant-suspends-operations/

LITTLE FALLS, Minn. (AP) -- The high price and low supply of corn has idled an ethanol plant in Little Falls.
The Central Minnesota Ethanol Co-op has suspended operations. The plant's general manager, Dana Persson, says that until they can buy corn or sell ethanol at a better price, it's to their advantage to stop production.
The St. Cloud Times says the co-op began operating in 1999 and has produced about 21 million gallons of ethanol a year. The cash price for a bushel of corn is currently $7.27 compared to $4.87 a bushel in November of 2010.

Far as I'm hearing, expect more to follow suit.