Atheists and Agnostics know more about religion the the adherents themselves?

urmommy

Lurking :)
I heard about this on the radio yesterday. I think it's kind of funny. If you read the whole article, a minister says that the people who got the answers wrong probably grew up believing and just accept it as true and don't dig into the details of their own belief. I can believe that reasoning.

hi5ingmf

Because we do the research and form an opinion ourselves instead of believing what we are told.

Dr. Satan

Sacred Cow Tipper
I think my mom was under the impression that I was just rebelling when she found out that I no longer believed, I think she still thinks that. I know that's what my dad thinks.

I'm just kinda surprised that the results are that widespread.

Cazy_Beast

I think my mom was under the impression that I was just rebelling when she found out that I no longer believed, I think she still thinks that. I know that's what my dad thinks.

I'm just kinda surprised that the results are that widespread.
show her your forum name :thumbsup:

JKD

Retired Asshole.
Because we do the research and form an opinion ourselves instead of believing what we are told.

Agreed.

It starts with upbringing when we are all young. Some people aren't religious because they truly believe it based on research but rather they were trained to believe by their parents.

Some people need more than being told to just believe, have faith or you will go some place bad for all eternity.

It's nonsense. That's not faith, thats fear.

On every board these discussions take place and I have yet to see one person ever show me proof of God. There is no proof anywhere of heaven nor hell.

urmommy

Lurking :)
I find it pretty messed up that people believe if you don't believe in THEIR God specifically you'll go to Hell or where ever/whatever other faiths believe.

So EVERYONE that doesn't believe in/fear God is going to hell because they were born in another country an grew up believing the same thing about you and your religion..?

What makes people think that THEIR religion/faith is the correct one??

There's just too many ridiculous things about religion for me to believe. Although like many people I have my doubts and periodic worries that maybe I should believe in a higher powere because it probably won't hurt me to believe, but than I just feel foolish for believing
in something out of fear.

I just don't know:mad:

Last edited:
J

Jared

Not surprising.

Unfortunately, many of the followers of the Christian (or likely all of the major) faith know little about what they are actually following. In fact, a vast amount say they are "following" and are in practice doing nothing of the sort.

Atheists and Agnostics know more about religion because they are the type of people who do research, think about things, and have to know facts before deciding (anything). It makes sense, and at least they read what they needed to read to make a decision for themselves.

The biggest thing that turns people off of Christianity is other Christians, and once again, cant say I disagree. Nothing worse then someone saying "I am right, and you are wrong" and then acting how anyone else acts all the time.

If you guys didnt know, I am a practicing Christian. I had fallen away from the faith for about 12 years from 1998-2009. Late last year I started studying again, and in March of 2010 I was re-baptized. Since then I spend weekly time in the word and attend church 3 times a week. Even so, I am learning all the time, and keep an open mind about everything. You cant be a sheep in the "internet age" and even so, about 80% of the people even at my own church seem to be "sheep". Its sad.

I say, do you own research on things you are curious to know about, and make your own decision that is right for you. Dont let anyone tell you that you are right or wrong. Just be respectful of others, no matter what they choose to believe. Many Christians would disagree with me on that, but that's just how I choose to do things. 9/10 of my friends are not Christians.

avsp

L 344 R 492
I caught some of this last night on Diane Sawyer's Playschool World News Tonight, where thy were showing people leaving Church who didn't know the names of the Gospels nor the first book of the bible, ..., is this the scale of ignorance that the study found, (predictably the ancient phone wont display the cite)? If so, then surely thats something else apart from simple 'acceptance' of your parents belief? That sounds more like simply not paying any attention at all to even ordinary everyday life, ..., in fact typing this I fink they must've been winding the TV crew up, ..., I am so very stupid.

taktc

No means try harder.
I'm not surprised. But reading the comments after the small article was rather ammusing. It seemed like people were coming up with excuses as to why the results were the way they were.

Personally, I believe in order to truly believe in your belief system, you should do as much research about it as possible. Jared took a step away, then came back and has done, and is still doing, the research. Props to him.

Myself, I was raised Catholic, but stopped believing many years ago. But I always felt that there was something more out there than science can explain. I started doing a lot of looking around at different belief systems and reading up on them. One of the best websites for this is www.religioustolerance.org . They typically gave a synopsis of what the belief system was about. I just dug deeper into them with books and the internet. And yes, I know you can't believe everything the internet says. But just because it's hard copied with a binder, doesn't make it correct also. But, as Jared said once before, you have to check multiple sources and come to your own conclusion about what it's all about. In doing my own research a few years ago, I found something that suited what I felt and believed. My mom isn't happy about it, but that is her own problem. My fiance was raised catholic also, but accepts what I believe and has actually started to believe a little herself.

Last edited:

Skinny Will

Attention..Disorder..Shit
i'll always believe in god. nothing will ever change that.
do you have to believe in god? no. do you have to be religious? no. do you have to believe in the same things as me? no. do i wish you did? sure. but who am i to think that everyone has to believe the same things as me?

no matter what people say, i will always be a christian. because even if its not real, Christianity makes me a better person, and it makes me feel good to know that i have something beyond myself to live for no matter what.

itsMikey

Empire Performance
i beleive in a sort of a higher power but whos to say that its a single "life-form"?

i just tend to veer twords science and logic rather than beleifs

and as said before, most beleive simply out of fear.

JKD

Retired Asshole.
The failure of religion as of late isn't that less people believe in God, but rather don't believe in the church. Between hypocritcal church members, preachers stealing money hand over fist from the elderly and priests molesting kids it's hard to "follow" or have faith in all the nonsense that seems to surround religion regularly.

Mike

The failure of religion as of late isn't that less people believe in God, but rather don't believe in the church. Between hypocritcal church members, preachers stealing money hand over fist from the elderly and priests molesting kids it's hard to "follow" or have faith in all the nonsense that seems to surround religion regularly.
I've met plenty of people who consider themselves devout Catholics who go to church on Sunday and spend the other 6 days of the week sinning any way they can.

Nothing says "I follow the Catholic church" like using condoms for premarital sex and being pro-choice. :lol:

sith_killer_99

I lol'd.

Just to play devil's advocate here (or religious advocate as the case may be).

I am not surprised that those who claim to be religious could not answer many of the questions, as many of the questions pertain to a variety of religions.

In other words, I would not expect a Catholic to know very much about Mormonism, Hinduism, Islam, etc.

OTOH, it is pretty pathetic that they would miss questions regarding their own religion.

I took the online survey and missed one question, about the Jewish Sabbath. Big surprise, I am not that well versed in Judaism. :lmao:

Also, in my experience, atheists and agnostics do tend to be more well versed in different religions as many of them come from religious families and when they eventually "rebel" and strike out on their own to see what they really believe they tend to read up on different religions, usually because they are searching for something, some way to reconcile evil in the world or some other such nonsense.:lmao:

Rebelling against one's religious upbringing or religion in general is about as normal and common as it get's, so common that the Amish created something called "Rumspringa" to deal with the issue.

In any event, I am not surprised that many people who claim to be religious are uneducated about their own religion. I know Catholics who do not know that the Pope recognized Evolution many years ago, or that a Catholic Priest proposed the Big Bang Theory. I know Mormons who do not know that their religion used to view people with darker skin as carrying more sin in their souls. I know Protestants who have no idea what the Ninety-Five Theses is, or that Martin Luther was dead set against naming a religion after him.

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
Not surprising.

Unfortunately, many of the followers of the Christian (or likely all of the major) faith know little about what they are actually following. In fact, a vast amount say they are "following" and are in practice doing nothing of the sort.

Atheists and Agnostics know more about religion because they are the type of people who do research, think about things, and have to know facts before deciding (anything). It makes sense, and at least they read what they needed to read to make a decision for themselves.

The biggest thing that turns people off of Christianity is other Christians, and once again, cant say I disagree. Nothing worse then someone saying "I am right, and you are wrong" and then acting how anyone else acts all the time.

If you guys didnt know, I am a practicing Christian. I had fallen away from the faith for about 12 years from 1998-2009. Late last year I started studying again, and in March of 2010 I was re-baptized. Since then I spend weekly time in the word and attend church 3 times a week. Even so, I am learning all the time, and keep an open mind about everything. You cant be a sheep in the "internet age" and even so, about 80% of the people even at my own church seem to be "sheep". Its sad.

I say, do you own research on things you are curious to know about, and make your own decision that is right for you. Dont let anyone tell you that you are right or wrong. Just be respectful of others, no matter what they choose to believe. Many Christians would disagree with me on that, but that's just how I choose to do things. 9/10 of my friends are not Christians.

You know Jared, when you're not trying to hype or sell something you're pretty well spoken. :lol:

Seriously though, I came to my conclusions on religion and god after I truly understood and accepted my mortality at 12. It started quite quickly after my grandfathers death, I started having dreams about my death. I would dream about someone closing my coffin and then just laying in my coffin in complete darkness. Those dreams really had me thinking about my death and what comes after. From what my psychiatrist would tell me at the time, I was going through something people in their 70s and beyond go through typically.

I spent the next year studying religious text (including the Bible) trying to figure out where I stand and what is the truth about the afterlife. After a lot of deep thinking and research, I came to the conclusions that I believe today. Before all of it though and not being informed, I believed in a God and the such. I wouldn't necessarily call myself Christian at that time, but I believed in God.

jinxtacy

시발 놈 게세키
You know Jared, when you're not trying to hype or sell something you're pretty well spoken. :lol:
x2 I'm baptized and confirmed. I like religion and miss the comfort and simplicity that it offers, but in the end I couldn't connect the dots. I believed primarily because I was taken to church and grew up in rural Texas where everyone believed. Might have been a few Buddhists, but I never knew of Muslims other than what I read. Out there outside the norm would pretty much be Mormons and Jews. Nothing to be feared or hated due to the general homogeneity of San Angelo. I did the whole Bible Studies etc. and Honestly until I moved to Dallas I never considered anything else. I didn't do things out of fear, but rather that I enjoyed them. Life was simple and easy. Things seemed more certain. I still and the person I am today because of my many years of being brought up in the Methodist church. It crafted me into what I think would be a much better person than some unguided soul. I don't believe however much I wish to, but when I have kids I don't think I wouldn't elect to take them to church and leave my two pence out of it. I don't know, but hopefully that bridge is still a long way off. :lol: