Aquatic Turtle

Dan

Doing 100
Anybody here ever owned an aquatic turtle? I was thinking about getting one for a new pet. I like fish too but I'd rather do a turtle because they are bigger and you can take them out from time to time.

Looking at a red eared slider. I know what all I need I'm just looking for anyone with some experience who can tell me whether they would do it again or what's the ups/downs of owning a turtle?

P.S. If I get one it's getting a big 55 gallon tank. :D

J

Jared

Good luck finding the turtle. Anyone who sells one to you in Texas is breaking the law... big time.

dallas05taco

Miracle Maker With Chloroform And Astroglide
Good luck finding the turtle. Anyone who sells one to you in Texas is breaking the law... big time.
Depends on the kind but most are legal in texas. res are a good choice.

55 gallon is fine but they will eventually outgrow it. With turtles they need a land and water set up. The water set up will need alot of filtration as they poop a lot and the land set up will need a basking heat lamp as they are reptiles.

There are a couple of members on dfwfishbox.com that keeps them and has experience if you want to go over and ask.

LS2_Fast

Formerly known as Swapped2
Anybody here ever owned an aquatic turtle? I was thinking about getting one for a new pet. I like fish too but I'd rather do a turtle because they are bigger and you can take them out from time to time.

Looking at a red eared slider. I know what all I need I'm just looking for anyone with some experience who can tell me whether they would do it again or what's the ups/downs of owning a turtle?

P.S. If I get one it's getting a big 55 gallon tank. :D

if you want, i have a 60 gal tank i used for my koi fish you can hvae cheap, you have to take the entire set up though lol

Dan

Doing 100
Petsmart is breaking the law? LOL, oh well it's a $20 turtle... I don't think they'll send the FBI after it. :lmao:

Depends on the kind but most are legal in texas. res are a good choice.

55 gallon is fine but they will eventually outgrow it. With turtles they need a land and water set up. The water set up will need alot of filtration as they poop a lot and the land set up will need a basking heat lamp as they are reptiles.

There are a couple of members on dfwfishbox.com that keeps them and has experience if you want to go over and ask.
I was told not to go smaller than 30 gal, and that no matter what size I had they would outgrow it, but they will stay smaller in a smaller tank. I want a decent size one for it to live in which is why I was aiming for the 55-60 size.

I was also told for a RES I wouldn't need a land area necessarily... just a floating object big enough for the turtle to bask on under the heat lamp. I'm going for depth, if the tank is mostly full the turtle will have more room to move around, especially since it will spend the majority of its time in the water.

Just signed up and posted on DFWFishBox... I'm not 100% set on a turtle, although I'm pretty sure that's what I want. For all I know I may end up going with a fresh water fish assortment tank. Gonna get the tank tonight and do a little more research before I get anything to put in it.

if you want, i have a 60 gal tank i used for my koi fish you can hvae cheap, you have to take the entire set up though lol
You have a PM. Call me!

Bumpie

Rock out with your cock out
I am so glad I went with my pet rock. His name is Thomas he spends most of his time sleeping but yeah when I take him for walks we get weird looks from my neighbors especially when I scold him for coming out of his harness.

dallas05taco

Petsmart is breaking the law? LOL, oh well it's a $20 turtle... I don't think they'll send the FBI after it. :lmao:

I was told not to go smaller than 30 gal, and that no matter what size I had they would outgrow it, but they will stay smaller in a smaller tank. I want a decent size one for it to live in which is why I was aiming for the 55-60 size.

I was also told for a RES I wouldn't need a land area necessarily... just a floating object big enough for the turtle to bask on under the heat lamp. I'm going for depth, if the tank is mostly full the turtle will have more room to move around, especially since it will spend the majority of its time in the water.

Just signed up and posted on DFWFishBox... I'm not 100% set on a turtle, although I'm pretty sure that's what I want. For all I know I may end up going with a fresh water fish assortment tank. Gonna get the tank tonight and do a little more research before I get anything to put in it.

You have a PM. Call me!
Yea thats pretty much what i meant by land, something for the turtle to get out of the water and bask under the heat lamp.

Make sure you do your research and ask alot of questions, i cant stress enough how many beginners rush into it and then get disappointed when things die bc they didn't do the proper research.

Dan

Doing 100
Yea thats pretty much what i meant by land, something for the turtle to get out of the water and bask under the heat lamp.

Make sure you do your research and ask alot of questions, i cant stress enough how many beginners rush into it and then get disappointed when things die bc they didn't do the proper research.
Oh I know. I've been looking into it for a while now, and finally decided to move on it this weekend. I'm getting the tank tonight but I'm not trying to rush and buy the turtle before I get it set up. I've made some posts on DFW Fish Box to confirm what I know and get some additional information.

The plan now is it to get the tank tonight and set it up as much as I can. Fill it with water set up the lamp and have everything placed where I want it. That way when I pick him up tomorrow all I have to do is drop in his plants and floating rock. I'm excited. :D

Dan

Doing 100
It's empty. Been sitting in a shed for a while. But I've got a friend that has a red eared slider (and two cycled tanks for it) and he said he'd help me get started. Said something about giving me water from one of his tanks and some plants/rocks.

EDIT: I'm guessing you are bettalover on DFWFB?

dallas05taco

It's empty. Been sitting in a shed for a while. But I've got a friend that has a red eared slider (and two cycled tanks for it) and he said he'd help me get started. Said something about giving me water from one of his tanks and some plants/rocks.

EDIT: I'm guessing you are bettalover on DFWFB?

Yea brah' :D

id say test it for leaks first before setting it up and save yourself from disaster. Water don't have much bacteria compared to rocks and plants thats been set up in a cycled tank, tell him to squeeze out some of the black gunk from his old filters and dump all of that into your new tank... that will literally cycle your tank over night.

Dan

Doing 100
Yea brah' :D

id say test it for leaks first before setting it up and save yourself from disaster. Water don't have much bacteria compared to rocks and plants thats been set up in a cycled tank, tell him to squeeze out some of the black gunk from his old filters and dump all of that into your new tank... that will literally cycle your tank over night.
I'll test it, but I'm actually getting the one from LS2 Fast (Juan) so I know who I'm buying it from and he actually resealed it about a year ago so it should be good. Regardless, I'm going to test it before I start putting important stuff in it.

I finally found a store that has painted turtles in stock. Red eared sliders are cool too but they just get so big... whereas the painted turtle stays smaller and won't outgrow the 60gal tank.

That's why I was leaning more towards painted. But every petsmart and petco around here only has RES. The only place so far to have the painted in stock is the garland petsmart, so I'm going to hit them up tomorrow.

EsChassisLove

formerly Sittinslidewayz
^Had one like that.

I being a dumbass 12 year old, broke the tank while I was cleaning it.

Where did I put the turtle overnight? In with my pirahnas.

Yea........

Troy S

Regional Leader
So funny, I caught them all the time as a kid and kept them in tanks. I think Nick, Blownsvt caught and kept one for his kids as well for a time.

Troy S

Regional Leader
These are so common here, like every where. Take a pic of his underside, that is the coolest part imo.