Aquarium noob

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
I bought a bottle of API's plant food when I was trying real plants; they didn't make it. I may eventually give live plants another shot, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. I wish I didn't have a black thumb. I'd love to have a nice aquascape.

re-rx7

Cuban Carlos
Aquascaping is hard. If venture to say harder then saltwater. It's hard to make it look natural. The API food pales in comparison. Seachem is idea I've tried both. Light light and more light. Start off with sword plants. They are the easiest.
My Gfs 9 gal aquascaping.

My 46 gal corner.

Last edited:

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
I wouldn't mind something like your 9 gallon. Or like this:

One of the angels died. Found it floating today. Not sure if it was fishicide or if it died and was scavenged, but it was missing half its face when I found it.

re-rx7

Cuban Carlos
It was fed on most likely. Those tanks take alot of work. Co2 and food. Once you get them going though they pretty much run themselves.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
I need to start ordering my aquarium shit online instead of going to Petsmart. Went in today to get a larger air pump and ended up with two Bichirs.

re-rx7

Cuban Carlos
I need to start ordering my aquarium shit online instead of going to Petsmart. Went in today to get a larger air pump and ended up with two Bichirs.

A carnivore, Polypterus senegalus can be offered a varied diet of live foods such as worms and shrimp, as well as prepared foods such as krill, pellet food, and freeze-dried tubifex. The Cuvier Bichir may also accept some frozen foods.

Z400

Was just given the A-OK for a 4ft tank.
So sometime soon hopefully, i'll be picking up a 4 footer. Looking for a 90 Gallon or a 120 Gallon, keeping my eye open for a 150 Gallon but those are usually priced way to damn high.

re-rx7

Cuban Carlos
Was just given the A-OK for a 4ft tank.
So sometime soon hopefully, i'll be picking up a 4 footer. Looking for a 90 Gallon or a 120 Gallon, keeping my eye open for a 150 Gallon but those are usually priced way to damn high.
I know right its like 30gals more and the price is double. Im tired of long tanks. I want tall and deep.

Z400

Yep, you got it.

There is a 150 Gallon tank for sale locally. Tank and stand and thats it....$700 on craigslist. LOL

I have recently comes across a 90 gallon that i am just going gaga over. Just dont have the spare cash at the moment. $300
Comes with a brand new light fixture and a new heater.
Light fixture wont do me any good as im going to do a high tech planted tank and it is only a T8 fixture.
But i love the look and it is exactly what i am looking for.

re-rx7

Cuban Carlos
Yep, you got it.

There is a 150 Gallon tank for sale locally. Tank and stand and thats it....$700 on craigslist. LOL

I have recently comes across a 90 gallon that i am just going gaga over. Just dont have the spare cash at the moment. $300
Comes with a brand new light fixture and a new heater.
Light fixture wont do me any good as im going to do a high tech planted tank and it is only a T8 fixture.
But i love the look and it is exactly what i am looking for.

I want a tank I can look at w/o bending over.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Craigslist
Craigslist up here isn't quite what Craigslist in DFW is. Nowhere near as big. Plus the heater that died is one I got used off of CL with my 55 gallon tank. Petsmart had a 300w on sale for $31, so I bought it.

re-rx7

Cuban Carlos
Craigslist up here isn't quite what Craigslist in DFW is. Nowhere near as big. Plus the heater that died is one I got used off of CL with my 55 gallon tank. Petsmart had a 300w on sale for $31, so I bought it.
Thats not bad. That heater will leave room too if you decide to uprade your gallons.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
I'm thinking about building a small acrylic tank. Something to go on my desk under my monitors after I wall-mount them, for a beta most likely.

My desk is 56" long, and I need to leave enough space for my speakers (~5"ea x 2). So we'll call it 46" wide on the tank. Probably 8-10" tall, about 6" deep. Should put it around 10 gallons.

Anyone built an acrylic tank before? I've read/watched a few DIY guides, but I'm wondering if I'm being a bit ambitious. I'm also not sure what to do about the lid. Really don't want to leave it open as it'll be sitting right under my computer monitors.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
Started building my new tank. So far I've run across a couple small hurdles, but nothing I can't fix. It's coming together. The final dimensions will be 36" wide x 6" deep x 10" tall. When filled up with ~8" of water it should be around 7.5 gallons.

I've tried to take a couple pics along the way, but no dice. It just doesn't show up at all being, basically, a clear empty box.

I hope to have it up-and-running around the middle of next week. I'll get some pics then when it's a bit easier to see.

Deviate

Bork Bork Bork
It may end up being a hermit crab habitat or something. I was going back over the seams to fill in a couple spots and somehow ended up with a pool of acrylic cement in one of the vertical edges. It's cracked there now. I think I got it sealed, but ultimately won't know until I put water in it tomorrow.