Anyone else into snakes?

M3mph1s

lolwut?
My first snake...way back when...was a wild caught Texas Rat Snake. Mean little fucker for quite a while. He tamed up for the most part, before we passed him along. Just didn't dedicate the time to him that he deserved.

A while back, I decided to step back in. I picked up a Brazilian Red Tailed Boa. Poor thing was in terrible condition, thin as fuck, skittish, and riddled with mites.
I tried my best, getting her regular meals, washing her, soaking her, even the dreaded cleaning around the eyes.
She seemed to be getting better, the mites were slowly receding, but she finally quit eating and passed away.

Once I was good and ready, I stepped back in.
I started out with a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. She's about two feet long, gorgeous colors, and she is the sweetest thing on the face of the earth. Loves people, loves being held, loves shirt sleeves...

For a while I'd had my eye on a Green Tree Python. I'd seen him out of the cage once, and he tore the guy UP. Got him twice, and latched on the second time. Blood everywhere, tore skin, ect.
I commented to one of the employees later that it was a shame I couldn't handle her. Before I knew it, she had pinned it and pulled it out for me to see. Naturally, the rest of the employees started to gather to see this, as I was know holding the very angry snake behind the head. After a few minutes of being calm with him and getting him situated, I let go of him. At that point he was wrapped around my hands, and just exploring up and down my arms as I walked around. I spent like 15 minutes with him, having people come up and see him, since he's almost never out of the cage.
And I fell in love. >.<

Went back and held him, ended up startling him and got tagged twice. Not painful, lots of blood, cool marks for a couple weeks on my arms.

After about a month, I'd saved up enough, and went in and picked up the snake at half price (since all the employees were afraid of him, and nobody wanted to touch, let alone buy him). The cage, set up, and lights and all were thrown in because they knew I loved this thing to death and had hope I could get him better.

His problem was that once he bit someone, people became apprehensive of holding him. The less he gets held, the more aggressive he gets. And it had snowballed from there.

I've had him home for almost three weeks. Trying my best to hold him daily, at the very least holding him every two days (with the exception of after feedings...). I have yet to have been bit since. He has come along way. I'm learning lots from him, as he is learning lots from me...like striking at me does not mean I will leave him be.

The latest addition, is a Leucistic Rat Snake. My friend bought a sub off me, and we went straight from his bank to pick him up, because he is just fascinating. He's as aggressive as the python was, but he can't break skin yet. Only problem is, it's hard to tell when he's gonna shed!
Leucistic, in a nutshell, is a cross between Albino and Anerythristic. Albino, being the lack of darker colors, blacks, browns, greys. Anerytheristic, or Anery, is the opposite, posessing only the darker colors, and missing all pinks, reds, and lighter shades. Punnet square says that 1/16 of those babies come out like this guy, missing all pigments. When held up to a light, you can see his spine, organs, and last meal.

Odin

Slow on DR, fast on RKC
One of my brothers breeds and sells pythons, if you want one. He has probably close to 50 of them at his house right now. Everywhere from hatchlings to 8' long.

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
Snakes rock. I used to have a little ball python. Boas are the shit though.

Dan

Doing 100
I've always admired snakes from afar. They are cool but I wouldn't trust one enough to keep as a pet.

Kayla

:stirstirstir:
I have 2 ball pythons :) Bubba and Cami. I love them. Ive always wanted a green tree python but they are expensive as hell. Lol.

And everytime i go to a petstore and hold a red tail boa bigger than me I fall in love but I could never feed one of those things. Rabbits are too cute to become voluntary food Lol.

Odin

Slow on DR, fast on RKC
I have 2 ball pythons :) Bubba and Cami. I love them. Ive always wanted a green tree python but they are expensive as hell. Lol.

And everytime i go to a petstore and hold a red tail boa bigger than me I fall in love but I could never feed one of those things. Rabbits are too cute to become voluntary food Lol.

You feed them dead animals, so it's not like you have to watch them kill the rabbits.

Feeding snakes live animals is a bad idea, it increases the chance that the animal will struggle and injure the snake while being eaten.

'89playboy

French Wench
as much as I love snakes I will not hold one if its aggresive, Ive held a 6' python before and that thing was the most gentle thing ive ever seen!!!

nice snakes dude but your braver than I am. I probably freak the fuck out if one bit me!! :(

Kayla

You feed them dead animals, so it's not like you have to watch them kill the rabbits.

Feeding snakes live animals is a bad idea, it increases the chance that the animal will struggle and injure the snake while being eaten.
My snake bubba is picky. For a while he wouldnt touch live food and preferred the frozen bs.

(I hate thawing dead mice, it is gross. And half the time they have blood by their mouth anyway, so why not let nature happen in the first place and let em kill their food?)

So we ended up with a few pet mice for quite a while. :) they are so cute. Eventually he grew tired of frozen and went back to the norm. And thats what I stick with still... but now it's intelligent, cute, big, furry rats :) It's hard sometimes but hey.. I love my snakes. And I think *knock wood* the worst thing that has happened was them getting peed on by the mouse or rat Lol. Hopefully nothing bad ever happens. Those rats are fighters though..

Kayla

as much as I love snakes I will not hold one if its aggresive, Ive held a 6' python before and that thing was the most gentle thing ive ever seen!!!

nice snakes dude but your braver than I am. I probably freak the fuck out if one bit me!! :(
Ive only been struck once by my smaller python Cami. It was right after feeding her and I was reaching into the box to put her back in her big ol' tank. Funny thing is it looked like she struck once but SHIT! Lol There were 6 freakin holes! They are quick little fuckers. But seriously, a rubberband snap hurts worse Lol.

Last edited:

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member

Have you ever seen a snake eat a live animal? There isn't time for the animal to even react. Shit, if you blink while watching them eat you literally will miss the whole thing.

Kayla

Have you ever seen a snake eat a live animal? There isn't time for the animal to even react. Shit, if you blink while watching them eat you literally will miss the whole thing.
When they were little it took them forever to get them down, but now they seem to inhale them Lol.

Bowtie

FERD EFFTEENTHOUSAND
Staff member
When they were little it took them forever to get them down, but now they seem to inhale them Lol.

Even little pythons will kill its prey before it eats it though (quite quickly I might add). Boas eating is pretty fucking awesome to watch.

Odin

Slow on DR, fast on RKC

Seen it lots of times, and usually the rat doesn't stand a chance. But sometimes, especially when the snake is confined to a cage, the rat can get a few snaps or claws in before he's food, and that can cause problems with the snake.

Kayla

I do remember the first time I tried to feed bubba a rat instead of a mouse. He struck and somehow missed! This rat was SUPER RAT because he was jumping everywhere and going crazy. Poor bubba was traumatized Lol. He gets em now just fine though. That rat was psychotic. We just set it free outside..

M3mph1s

lolwut?
The smaller food, I feed live. The python takes rat pups, which can give a nasty bite so they get stunned before becoming food.
Speaking of, got bit three times while feeding him the other day. I was using foot long tongs, but apparently tasted better. >.<
Pics of set-ups coming along in a few.

Rico

I do remember the first time I tried to feed bubba a rat instead of a mouse. He struck and somehow missed! This rat was SUPER RAT because he was jumping everywhere and going crazy. Poor bubba was traumatized Lol. He gets em now just fine though. That rat was psychotic. We just set it free outside..
:lmao:
From the sounds of that, that rat DESERVED freedom and his life for the hard fight. :thumbsup: