Any 2011 5.0 owners raced a WRX?

Dan

Doing 100
I like the setup of my car. The 5.0 wouldn't be bad though. I only get 276 rejoicing on 87 octave lol. Its more than what my old car had so its plenty.
Eww, 87 octane. You really should run 93 in your car.

^your car is basically identical with a 4.6 instead of the 5.0 isn't it?
Actually I think the difference between his car and my car for example is much like the difference between a 4th gen Z28 and an SS performance wise. His car stock should have about 15hp over mine stock.

David21

SLOW
Eww, 87 octane. You really should run 93 in your car.

Actually I think the difference between his car and my car for example is much like the difference between a 4th gen Z28 and an SS performance wise. His car stock should have about 15hp over mine stock.
I meant his car is the same as the 5.0 just a smaller motor

rileyrat

I run 87 cause I can. I use 93 every other tank though its not required.
All higher octane means is the fuel is harder to burn. It's used when your cylinder pressure will cause pinging or knocking. If you run high octane in a car built for 87 then all you are doing is fouling plugs and getting terrible mileage.

David21

SLOW
As long as he's under 10:1 compression hes fine.

I know many ls guys that run 87 octane and get better gas mileage than when they use 93 since the compression ratio is at 9.6:1

Dan

Doing 100
I meant his car is the same as the 5.0 just a smaller motor
I think the suspension setup is different. When the 2010 came out, they never raved about how it runs around a track. The 2011 came out and they are comparing it to M3s.

I run 87 cause I can. I use 93 every other tank though its not required.
It's actually even worse to change back and forth like that than to stick with just one constant octane. Our cars are run by computers these days, and the computer adjusts to whatever octane you are running. If you change gases like that it's running the wrong octane settings. My car is on a stock tune, and has been for a while now. I've run 93 octane in it since I've owned it. I tried running 87 in it one day and it ran like shit for a while, then started driving normally after I put some miles through it. Then I switched back to 93 and it drove funny again for a short time, before going back to normal. Now I just leave it on 93 because it's a cleaner fuel with less contaminants. Higher octane fuel burns slower and it's harder for your engine to light it off, but between 87 and 93 there isn't much difference (just like there isn't much difference performance wise). The main reason to go with 93 octane fuel is because it tends to be a cleaner fuel with less contaminants in it.

All higher octane means is the fuel is harder to burn. It's used when your cylinder pressure will cause pinging or knocking. If you run high octane in a car built for 87 then all you are doing is fouling plugs and getting terrible mileage.
Luckily our cars are fine anywhere in that range. They aren't necessarily built for 87 either. They will auto correct timing for whatever fuel we run. Unless of course we did something crazy and put race gas in it without the proper tune/supporting mods.

He's dead on. Higher octane gas burns slower and it's harder for your engine to burn it. But its also cleaner and an 87-93 difference can easily be corrected by the computer, so it's better to run the cleaner fuel since it's not enough of a difference to effect anything negatively.

As long as he's under 10:1 compression hes fine.

I know many ls guys that run 87 octane and get better gas mileage than when they use 93 since the compression ratio is at 9.6:1
It's not about compression or power or mileage, it's about the quality of the fuel. IMO.

JohnGT

Wanna Race?
Yeah I noticed not a huge difference when I recently filled up with 93 it wasn't much difference on the mileage and when I had it dynoed I just filled up the day before on 87 so that was just bad timing. It wouldn't make much difference in any case. Thanks for the facts though Dan.

Dan

Doing 100
Yeah I noticed not a huge difference when I recently filled up with 93 it wasn't much difference on the mileage and when I had it dynoed I just filled up the day before on 87 so that was just bad timing. It wouldn't make much difference in any case. Thanks for the facts though Dan.
:thumbsup:

Slow Five-O

too quick
The real reason to run 93 over 87 is if your timing is turned up and it needs it. (yes because it burns cleaner). There's no reason to run it just because.

Dan

Doing 100
The real reason to run 93 over 87 is if your timing is turned up and it needs it. (yes because it burns cleaner). There's no reason to run it just because.
I'm not talking about just burning cleaner. I'm talking about the fact that the fuel is physically cleaner. I remember reading a while back about a study where engineers tested gasoline of 3 octane levels from several different gas stations in a certain area. And the 93 octane had less contaminants than the lower octane gasolines.

Slow Five-O

too quick
I'm not talking about just burning cleaner. I'm talking about the fact that the fuel is physically cleaner. I remember reading a while back about a study where engineers tested gasoline of 3 octane levels from several different gas stations in a certain area. And the 93 octane had less contaminants than the lower octane gasolines.
So Toyota camrys and prius' should run 93 too?

Tbh I don't even know what was originally said because I'm at work and watching football. :p

Dan

Doing 100
So Toyota camrys and prius' should run 93 too?

Tbh I don't even know what was originally said because I'm at work and watching football. :p
Probably not. If I owned a camry or a prius (never have, don't, and never will) I probably wouldn't care about it enough to give a shit if it's running dirty gas. However, I do care enough about my current car as well as my last one to run 93 solely for the cleaner gas.

Now my truck had 87 in it all day. IDGAF.