88 mustang help

Discussion in 'Technical & Modification Discussion' started by camarokidrs, Oct 10, 2009.

Help Support RICEKILLER.COM Forums by donating:

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

Have a slight problem with my mustang guys, the car is a 5.0 with a t5 my problem is when i shift it past 2nd it begins to sputter and acts like it wants to die I can get it to pick back up by reapplying the clutch. It sounds to me like a slipping clutch but i wanna be certain before i go through the pain of dropping that trans. Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Oct 10, 2009 #2

800Phelps

800Phelps

800Phelps

grandstang

why would the clutch have anything to do with running issues? sounds like the car has a misfire problem and your not seeing it until it is under a load. i would start with the cap and rotor, fuel filter, plugs, wires.

3. Oct 11, 2009 #3

PatientZero

PatientZero

PatientZero

um, I'm not sure what the whole deal with the clutch is, but follow 800Phelps' advice. If none of that is the problem, I would start checking out your fuel delivery, the car might not be getting enough fuel under load. The only other thing I can think of would be sensors malfunctioning. Hope you get it fixed.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #4

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Your clutch has nothing to do with it, your either A. not getting enough spark, B. not getting enough fuel, or C. not getting enough air.

If it was your clutch your car would rev high and not really move like it should, rpms will just jump up. basically.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #5

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

But why would the car only do it when shifted into third i can nail the throttle down in first and second and the car picks up just fine its not until third that it starts to act up, it seems like a fuel or spark concern would happen at any load condition whether it be in first or any other gear. I'm thinking it might be the vacuum advance being messed up because when i unhook the vacumm line feeding the advance the car idles smooth and with the line hooked up the idle gets a little choppy. And also ALL ignition components are new including the coil and distributor pick up, and also guys the car is currently carbureted my fuel pressure is a constant 7psi. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. Oct 11, 2009 #6

David21

David21

David21

SLOW

Its could be vacuum, but to me it seems like a fuel issue.

7. Oct 11, 2009 #7

Big Show

Big Show

Big Show

RKC Official VP of MN Region

u should check for wires being pinched or something. its a long shot, but it should be doing this in all gears under load. it could be something u do when u are in 3rd gear that is causing the problem. just think about what is going on with the car when it is put into 3rd gear that is different from the other gears.
    its just a thought.

8. Oct 11, 2009 #8

s10tuner86

s10tuner86

s10tuner86

I haz ecotechz

Is this a freshly rebuilt motor? if you swapped anything IE.. heads ect.. did you make sure they flowed enough for you application? to me sounds like fuel or spark, I think if it were vacume it would do it in every gear. also have you checked the plugs recently even if they are somewhat new they could give you an idea of whats going on.

9. Oct 11, 2009 #9

800Phelps

800Phelps

800Phelps

grandstang

first off if you have put any kind of a cam in it you shouldn't be running the vacuum advance. just leave it off set your timing. let the mechanical weights adjust the timing. btw 3 and up put the biggest strain on a engine. does t do it in anything above third? this time of year it is easy for water to build up in the distributor cap. i would just check over everything..

10. Oct 11, 2009 #10

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

Yes the motor is a rebuilt engine, for the cam it has the stock h.o. cam in it, and it does do it in 3rd,4th, and 5th. Hopefully this rain lets up pretty soon so i can check and recheck everything.

11. Oct 11, 2009 #11

Venomous03Snake

Venomous03Snake

Venomous03Snake

SLOWBRA

I agree bro my buddy and I had the same poblem with his 5.0 :thumbsup:

12. Oct 11, 2009 #12

800Phelps

800Phelps

800Phelps

grandstang

lol i would pull the cap off and use a blow dryer on it. the only reason i am telling you this is because my brothers truck was doing the same thing last week when we started getting all this rain. have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?

13. Oct 12, 2009 #13

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

camarokidrs

I checked the distributor its clean and dry and all the contacts are free of corrosion. I did manage to pull two plugs couldn't pull the rest got home too late. The plugs had carbon around the base of the threads the electrode was a reddish brown color along the tip of the electrode. I also checked fuel pressure under load and it stayed right at 7psi.

14. Oct 13, 2009 #14

800Phelps

800Phelps

800Phelps

grandstang

change the plugs and i would tear the carb down and clean it depending on how many miles are on it and if it has set for any amount of time.

15. Oct 20, 2009 #15

BBnotch

BBnotch

BBnotch

Have you stuck a code reader on it yet?
    Jr.

16. Oct 20, 2009 #16

One Eyed Jim

One Eyed Jim

One Eyed Jim

My Liver is Divorcing Me

Listen to phelps... and third-fifth will put a higher load on the engine than 1-2 will.

17. Oct 20, 2009 #17

SRT-W8

SRT-W8

SRT-W8

Quick Brick = Still Slow

Another long shot, it could be bad fuel. Especially in carb'd cars fuel quality is very important. Altough it should run like crap in any gear then so... like I said it's a long shot. Listen to Phelps.