2 days in the Camaro - Weekend Review

J

Jared

Well, this weekend was fun.

The weather was just freaking perfect. I could not resist. I had a small window of time with the car between shops, so I took it. My sponsors had warned me not to "show" the car at any "major car shows", so I figured I could sneak in a little cars & coffee... I wont tell if you guys wont. :cool:

I had the car out briefly Friday night, making a stop in at the CRL monthly car meet in Garland. It was a private crowd, so I didnt think much of the car showing up there. Alot of positive comments... and to everyone who wanted to hear the power of a 100% focal system at 3/4 crank... they got their fill. Not a single negative comment in fact. Hope Whataburger lets me come back.

Larry Maupin filmed this video, which I didnt even know what being filmed. You cant get much SQ from a iphone video, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgPYCzEIWFQ

Saturday I simply could not resist the urge to attend Cars & Coffee. I parked off to the side with some other GM cars and tried to not attract much attention. Well, so much for that. The car had a steady stream of spectators for about 3 hours. As people who knew me came up and remarked about the car, I was again pressured into a brief sound demonstration. I had plenty of AC/DC on hand to ensure that I was old-people approved. When the system cranked up, a big crowd of people would gather to listen... all nodding in approval. Once again, no negative comments.

Of course I got the whole "why in the hell are your wheels green?", but that was quickly explained and the next comment was "I cant wait to see it wrapped!". Many people had no clue I am sponsored or getting wrapped anyways, and they came and said "Hey, those wheels are different! I like em!". I am thinking, "people actually like the green wheels on blue?" :uhoh:

I let our good friend Steve Pasztor take a look at the car and do a quick wash. Well, quick for him is about 90 minutes, but you get the point. Steve reported that the interior was in top shape and the paint was near perfection, save for a few mild swirls that the stereo shop inadvertently put in while cleaning my car as a courtesy.

As I watched Steve clean, I realized... this is the last day it will ever be out and be blue. The next stop is GSS to get its chromoly cage, and after that, the wrap shop. The deep blue paint, which has been restored beyond even its original luster, will be hidden for nearly 2 years. I have the benefit of knowing it will actually be preserved, but its kind of sad for me.

My girlfriend and I spent the evening in the car Saturday night. She hates the harness system, but I made her put em over here dress. I took her our for steaks at Culpeppers in Rockwall. I even let her drive it back to storage.

Now the car is back under the cover, awaiting the next round of installs. The next time you guys see it, it should look dramatically different. The one thing I took away from this weekend is the intense and deep love I have for this vehicle. Nothing can explain the joy of driving your car for the first time on a sunny day in 11 months with all parts installed and working properly. I have never had a more enjoyable experience in any convertible, and that includes a F430. Maybe its the sound system (which rocks beyond description) but I think its just the pride that its mine. The pride of knowing that because of what RKC has become, I have what I have today. Sitting in that car is a physical reminder to me of how much my life has changed over the last 5 years, and how much this car means to me.

I hope the next time behind the wheel comes much sooner than the last time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinny Will

Attention..Disorder..Shit
it was good seeing it again. the sound system sounds amazing and tbh, the green wheels didnt look too bad with the blue paint. it surprised me. lol

JKD

Retired Asshole.
As a car guy I can understand your conflict, amazing weather and a convertible to cruise and being without your car for so long. BUT, you did give your word and it's a buisness deal to boot. It's hard for anyone to have any buisness confidence in you if you don't keep your word.

Just my opinion though.

J

Jared

As a car guy I can understand your conflict, amazing weather and a convertible to cruise and being without your car for so long. BUT, you did give your word and it's a buisness deal to boot. It's hard for anyone to have any buisness confidence in you if you don't keep your word.

Just my opinion though.
Well,

By "shows" they meant anything with entry fee's or trophies. A car meet is not that. You are correct, my relationship with the sponsors comes first, so I dont want to make them upset. I know that LUXE and some others dont care either way (they might even be annoyed its taking so long for the other upgrades) but some others wanted me to make a "grand appearance" and didn't want to diminish from that with me showing it constantly in person as it was being built...

I dont think any damage was done.

It's gone now anyways. :)

JT

left handed shifter
sweet....cant wait to see it in person.

on a side note, makes me wanna start another project on mine, but I have soooooo much I wanna do, but haz no moneez.....:( some day.....some day..

Dr. Satan

Sacred Cow Tipper
You know, I really like those green wheels, even without a wrap to set them off.

Glad you had a good time with it.

J

Jared

Well the video larry took is getting some pretty nasty comments on youtube. That sucks. :(

JKD

Retired Asshole.
Well the video larry took is getting some pretty nasty comments on youtube. That sucks. :(
When you do something that far out of the box you have to come to expect just as extreme criticism.

Even more so, with the comments you have made in the past about neon lights and blaring stereos at meets/GTG's, to some it will seem very hypocritical on your part.

In my opinion, while I might not go as far to say that the stereo, lights and TV's are ricey, I will say that it's too far over the top for my personal taste. Being "old school" and following the thought process "form follows function" is the true essence of this hobby.

A stereo so loud you can't sit in the car makes no sense.

TV's in the trunk you can't see, neon lights are horrid in any shape or form. While the craftsmenship is impressive, all the mods serve no practical purpose in what the car was intended for - to be driven.

All the mods here that people are seeing aren't for performance, but rather to park the car somewhere and bring attention to it. To alot of car people that is going to be "ricer activity".

Bottom line, what is important here is that it's your car and you are happy with it. Being "Jared of RKC" is going to bring attention and harsh comments no matter what you do. Just enjoy your car as you see fit. If others like it, it's a bonus. Just be prepared alot will not like it.

J

Jared

I think the engine will shut em up. And being featured by monster will too. People just think I am some parking lot punk. When the car is on the front page of www.monsterenergy.com they will shut their mouths.

JKD

Retired Asshole.
I think the engine will shut em up. And being featured by monster will too. People just think I am some parking lot punk. When the car is on the front page of www.monsterenergy.com they will shut their mouths.

Very, very doubtful. In regards to you, some people are going to bitch no matter what.

To alot of people, having a sponsored car isn't impressive. All it means is someone else paid for and built your car for you. You have to keep in mind the people you are trying to connect with, car people who do most of their work with their own hands and pay for everything themselves.

J

Jared

Very, very doubtful. In regards to you, some people are going to bitch no matter what.

To alot of people, having a sponsored car isn't impressive. All it means is someone else paid for and built your car for you. You have to keep in mind the people you are trying to connect with, car people who do most of their work with their own hands and pay for everything themselves.
Far less people bitch now than they did 2 years ago.

Ricardo

Riding shotgun
I look at a 'show car' as being something I would do if I had the disposable income to support the mods.

The Oscar Meyer Wienermobile gets a lot of attention but I wouldn't mod my car into a hotdog bun. It has also been featured in many articles and magazines. So it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

As long as you like it I wouldn't worry about anyone else.

J

Jared

I look at a 'show car' as being something I would do if I had the disposable income to support the mods.

The Oscar Meyer Wienermobile gets a lot of attention but I wouldn't mod my car into a hotdog bun. It has also been featured in many articles and magazines. So it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

As long as you like it I wouldn't worry about anyone else.
:thinkhard:

J

Jared

:lmao:

The guys on youtube can hate. Whatever. The guys at cars & coffee saw it in person, and I got nothing but compliments. When its done, it will likely get more. I am not too worried. Just sucks to see all the haters

JT

left handed shifter

+rep sir.

Blownsvt

Original RKC MN Member
I can see why you are getting critisism. So far that car is everything you have preached against for the past 5 years. Now you are the guy blaring the obnoxious stereo at other peoples car meets lol. kind of ironic when you think about it. The work looks top notch but that is somethign i would see at the meet and think "that's useless".

I guess if you liek it thats all that counts but expect lots of people to call you a hypocrite.